Is this a linux virus S9y running into

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
chiriqui
Regular

Is this a linux virus S9y running into

Post by chiriqui »

I'm not getting a response? Does this appear to be outside the realm of S9y, is that why?
I'm running a S9y1.2 version on fedora v9

I went to add media to a entry and nothing would happen.
I have to vnc to check my server back in the states.
Using phpmyadmin I checked the database for this blog (I use msql)
in image field there was a non jpeg entry
"EastPool097.ini"
I deleted it and was able to then add a image to an entry.
I ran S9y's hummm what's it called "thumbnail pack".. it compacts the thumbnail's I believe

This reported that file in images which I think it said it skipped, "Eastpool097.ini"

Again I couldn't add an image to a entry. I could still view my media etc

I checked again with phpMyAdmin and there was that file again in the datebase under the "images" field. It was reinserted by Serendipitiy?

Does Linus even have .ini files?

any suggestions as to what is going on?
judebert
Regular

Re: Is this a linux virus S9y running into

Post by judebert »

No, Linux doesn't have .ini files.

When we "Rebuild Thumbnails", we look through all the files in the media directory and create new thumbnails for them. We also index any files that aren't already in the database.

I'm betting that the .ini file is in your media directory somewhere. Check with ssh, ftp, or whatever file manager your hosting company provides.

As to the main problem, I can't say for sure what's going on. When you say you tried to "add media to an entry", do you mean you clicked the "Media" button in the toolbar above the entry? If so, you should've seen a pop-up window with thumbnails of all the files in your media directory. This requires Javascript to be enabled. Alternatively, your pop-up blocker might be a little overzealous.

You should also consider upgrading to a new version of Serendipity as soon as you've resolved this problem.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
chiriqui
Regular

Post by chiriqui »

"in my media directory" by this you mean the directory I have the blog residing in. Is that what you mean?

The problem I've tried to report was yes when I selected the media button it wouldn't do anything. It would show the "hour glass" but when I move the cursor off the button the "hour glass" disappeared.

I had deleted a non jpeg file by the name "EastPool097.ini " out of the names listing in MYSQl. Then I ran the "thumbnail pack" That appeared to put the "EastPool09.ini back in the database. There was "again" and I deleted it. Since composing this message I haven't tried adding any new entries. I hesitant to do so. I'm also hesitant to upgrade. I have two other sites I VNC to my own computer back in the states that are running S9y. The last time I tried to upgrade one of these sites it didn't work out. I had to go back to. It was running 1.3 which I had been successful upgrading once before.

I'll give upgrading another try. It makes me nervous doing it here via VNC. I have a very slow through put to the server from here in Panama.

thanks for responding.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

chiriqui wrote:"in my media directory" by this you mean the directory I have the blog residing in. Is that what you mean?
It is usually the folder named "uploads", which is a sub-folder of your main serendipity installation folder.
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

I'd also be wary about upgrading until you've resolved this Media Center problem. Once the blog is running correctly again, then I'd upgrade.

Check the blog's upload/ directory for the .ini file you're seeing, like Don suggests. If the file is there, then the "rebuild thumbs" link will create a thumbnail and a database entry for it. (I'm guessing that's translated as "thumbnail pack" in your language.)

If the "Media" button on an entry is giving you an hourglass and nothing else, it's time to check the Javascript and pop-up blockers. I'd get Firefox and install the Firebug extension. If the Javascript fails, it'll tell you there's an error and what the error is. Then we can try to figure out what's going on.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
chiriqui
Regular

Post by chiriqui »

Ok! I zapped those erroneous files in upload.
What I believe happened is that a while back another author to the blog posted a picture which included the ".ini" file in question. This started the problems I have been dealing with.

I did a "thumbnail pack" again and these erroneous files were not reported and checking the database with phpMyAdmin I don't see anything out of the ordinary getting posted.

I'll get to work on trying to make an upgrade to the latest version of s9y now after doing another backup of the blogs.

So I think my difficulties have been resolved.
I learned a little about what s9y is doing and how it uses the "upload" directory.

thanks