Getting 8bitboy to work

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Snowfox
Regular

Getting 8bitboy to work

Post by Snowfox »

I have a problem to get following flash music player to work in my sidebar:
http://8bitboy.popforge.de/
I know you you can add it via the HTML nugget plugin to your sidebar, but after several attempt to get it to load im rather clueless, tried several HTML codes, but no success. If i load the flash directly everything is fine, but including it with a HTMl nugget and its not. Any pointers and suggestion would b very nice.
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Getting 8bitboy to work

Post by Don Chambers »

Did you disable Markup Transformations for that nugget?
=Don=
Snowfox
Regular

Post by Snowfox »

Yes i did i even tried writeting a lil php plugin but still a soon i try to get it into the sidebar it stops working.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

I used to own an Amiga. I'm trying to get 8bitboy to work, now.

Unfortunately, the website is short on details. How does it look up its parameters?
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Okay, I've got it embedded in my sidebar and in an entry. It seems to work fine for me.

I created a new directory in my media library and uploaded the files to there. (I didn't feel like cluttering my root directory any more.) Unfortunately, the XML config file must be in the current directory, so I loaded 8bitboy.xml to my serendipity directory. This means it may not work from archive or category pages.

I modified the 8bitboy.xml to use mods from a directory in my media library. I referred to them by absolute URL path, i.e. /progress/media/8bitboy/whatever.mod.

I added an HTML nugget, with no markup transformations, and the embed code:

Code: Select all

<embed width="150" height="57" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" name="8bitboy" id="8bitboy" src="/progress/media/8bitboy/BitboyApp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>
The code works both from my sidebar and in the entry.
Judebert
---
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

...and I just fixed the relative directory problem by setting base="/progress/media/8bitboy" in my embed tag. W00t! My root directory is clean, and it works from everywhere!
Judebert
---
Snowfox
Regular

Post by Snowfox »

First thx for the help judebert but i still wont get it working. If you follow this link here you see the player installed on my webpsace and working:
http://www.calling-the-wind.com/8bitboy/BitboyApp.swf
But as soon as i put the player into my sidebar i just get a blank field, also posting it in blog entry wont make it work, regular flash movies work however. Maybe something my webprovider is to blame for ? Im so out of ideas. :?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Are you adding a base attribute? Here's the code I think would work on your blog:

Code: Select all

<embed width="150" height="57" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" name="8bitboy" id="8bitboy" src="/8bitboy/BitboyApp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/ base="/8bitboy">
I verified this through Firebug; it worked on your root domain. Give it a shot.
Judebert
---
Snowfox
Regular

Post by Snowfox »

Very awesome this finally works :D HUGE THANKS judebert. You have no idea how many different code examples i used.