Testing a new Template NOT live (but with live content)?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Testing a new Template NOT live (but with live content)?

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

Hello,

i would like to know if there is a way to test a new template like Kinetic with live content but not live for users?

I guess that Kinetic is way too complex to just copy and enable it. I would like to test it a week or so, with my live content but users should stillt see the old template until i switch to the modified Kinetic. I don't want to mirror the blog, i want to work on my live blog.

Is this possible?

Regards, Harald
yellowled
Regular

Re: Testing a new Template NOT live (but with live content)?

Post by yellowled »

Harald Weingaertner wrote:I would like to test it a week or so, with my live content but users should stillt see the old template until i switch to the modified Kinetic.
Untested, but you could try to install the template chooser sidebar plugin, but enable it only for registered users. In order to be able to do that, you'd have to set the option "Enable Plugin ACL for usergroups?" (Administration/Configuration -> General Settings) to "Yes".

Again, I have never tested this myself.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

You may find that you want to alter your content BECAUSE of Kinetic... and that might be confusing to your readers as you are modifying live content for the benefit of Kinetic, yet they are seeing those changes in your current template.

I would (and have) set up a second installation of s9y. I typically use my localhost XAMPP for this, but have also done it "live".

Create a complete database backup of your site, then import that database into your newly created site... you will need to change certain configuration options, like your database settings, so you are actually addressing the "backup" database, and not your real one.

However, if you do not mind that your real content is changing as a result of your Kinetic testing, then go with Yellowled's suggestion as I am fairly sure it will work.
=Don=
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

Thanks you both,

i need to reconfigure my categories to get a clear index-page with Kinetic. I guess i will choose yellowleds hint. This sounds easier ;) Hunting over to buy the Template now :)

Thanks, Harald