Trouble Exporting Entries

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
bloginsb
Regular

Trouble Exporting Entries

Post by bloginsb »

I want to export entries for back up.

In admin, I go to "Export entries" then get the "Export RSS Feed" button. I click on it then I get redirected to a rss.php url with what appears to be rss encoded entries. I saved this to file then tried to open with RSS Reader but nothing happened. I assume this is because the file was saved as a php file and not a xml file. I also tried to view the rss.php file in internet explorer, but it didn't work. What can I do to export a file of my entries in a viewable format?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Since the entries are saved in a database, the only way to back them up is to back up the database. Usually this is done in phpMyAdmin, which allows you to make an SQL dump.

However, this is not viewable, at least not in any web browser.

There is a plugin that exports your blog to a PDF file. Maybe it will be what you're looking for?
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Yeah - what Judebert said. If you want to create a backup for security purposes, backup your entire database. I prefer phpMyAdmin to do that.

There is also a plugin that can do that... "Backup Interface" (serendipity_event_backup) is the name of the plugin... I have never used it, and it looks like it has not been updated in awhile - which may be due to the fact that no further revisions have been necessary.
=Don=
Mangek
Regular

Post by Mangek »

Don Chambers wrote:There is also a plugin that can do that... "Backup Interface" (serendipity_event_backup) is the name of the plugin... I have never used it, and it looks like it has not been updated in awhile - which may be due to the fact that no further revisions have been necessary.
It works pretty well, as long as the database is within reasonable size. (I don't know when a database gets too large, but I think that's decided by some settings in PHP? -- 4mb or something before it times out?)
kleinerChemiker
Regular

Post by kleinerChemiker »

It does not depend on the size of the database, but on the time it takes to process it and create the backup. allthough a biger database needs more time, but a faster server can process a bigger db in a shorter time.
bloginsb
Regular

Thanks so much

Post by bloginsb »

Thank you so much guys