The Future of Serendipity

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Another wish (admin interface)

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yes. Many parts of the s9y admin are not templatized. The reason is simple: If it were, s9y would be very hard to adapt new features into the core, because all existing admin templates would need upgrading.

Thus, the module output of core functionality is not likely to get templatized. It makes things harder, not easier. To change the HTML markup for those things, please send patches to the core PHP files of the include/admin/ s9y directory. Once the s9y admin backend will be reworked, we can think of templatizing it. But in the current state, it would mean a loss of flexibility for Serendipity's backend.

Regard,s
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
gimmel
Regular

Re: Another wish (admin interface)

Post by gimmel »

garvinhicking wrote:Once the s9y admin backend will be reworked, we can think of templatizing it. But in the current state, it would mean a loss of flexibility for Serendipity's backend.
Ok, I see. That's a whole lot of work (I took a few looks into the admin includes, I know what you're talking about ;-))
If I had more time (and wouldn't be a father in Elternzeit, that's harder than a 12 hour working day in my job) I would try to do it, but that's impossible now.
aschlemmer
Regular

WP admin weighing 5x S9Y admin

Post by aschlemmer »

Dear Garvin,

first let me thank you for your great work and your patience with us, the users.
Somebody said that we'd love the Wordpress admin UI:
abdussamad wrote:Here's what I think the project needs:

Better admin panel ui. You don't like wordpress but you gotta love the admin panel UI of wp.
Hmhm.
I want to show 2 screenshots of the new entry pages that say it all, click for full size:

Serendipity admin is around 75 Kb

Wordpress admin is around 500 Kb

Surely, the WP admin UI looks nicer, but is is snappy?
No. It's way too heavy to be really fast in response times.

The S9Y admin UI is snappy. 425 Kb snappier at least ;-)
Enough said :-)
www.ms-reporter.de
Pharma-unabhängige Infos für Multiple Sklerose-Betroffene
schnellze.it
Einzigartiges Zusammenspiel aus Popfetcher und s9y
bnetz

WP- vs. s9y-admin-interface

Post by bnetz »

I agree to aschlemmer's opinion: The wp-backend is rather unsnappy. But nevertheless the s9y-backend is not sweet - it's just a programmers' interface: just working. Working with the WP-backend definitely makes a lot more fun.

I personally would be happy with something between those two extremes.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

One thing really confused me at first: the option "write a new entry" is way to unaccented - from it's design it is one option of many, but in fact it is the most important one. Most of the time I open the admin area I want to configure nothing, I simply want to write a new entry. This functionality should be separated and "promoted" - a "Write a new Entry" button reachable from the main-page of the blog which not only opens the entry-option of the admin-area, but an own user interface especially created to publish an entry.

Maybe this is already done via a plugin (don't think so, the author-login is only a part of that idea: the special login, but is missing the separate ui), but it should be standard, in my opinion
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I can understand where some of the input is coming from for the s9y backend. Back when my bulletproof partners-in-crime and I were creating bulletproof, I disappeared for awhile on my own and decided to see if I could make the backend look radically different than anything previously seen. I came up with what I thought was a fairly decent reinterpretation of the backend. It is included with the bulletproof template, which will become the default template in s9y 1.4. A screen shot of that admin template is here: http://s9y-bulletproof.com/uploads/scre ... _fixed.jpg

With a bit of luck, I will find some free time to revisit that design and continue to improve it.
=Don=
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

I don't know how it is called in English, in German it is "Vorschauen erneuern", in English it might be "Renew previews" or something similar.

My suggestion is to have the possibility to limit the renewal to a specific directory.

Cheers

Dirk