Posts have passwords by default with Mozilla

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
mdnava
Regular

Posts have passwords by default with Mozilla

Post by mdnava »

Hello,

When I go to new entry with Mozilla, the posts always have a password by default (extended properties) even if I've already cleared it and the page was reloaded.

I have never set a password on any of our posts and this does not happen on Internet Explorer.
Melvin D. Nava
Venelogía
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Posts have passwords by default with Mozilla

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yeah, a cool new feature of Firefox3 is that it auto-fills in your login password everyhwere where a fieldname matches, independently of whether you entered in there or not. Great for CMSes :-D

You must disable autocompletion somehow, so that firefox no longer auto-remembers this. I believe there's an option to it, but I've never investigated it since I disabled the remember-me feature of FF3 completely as it's useless because of this.

We cannot change the name of the input field, so I see no other solution.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Does anyone know how to turn this off? It is driving me mad.

I have the FF3 from Apple. I suppose it is the same in the Windows version. On the Web I find discussions about how to deal with the treatment of URLs, but nothing on either 1) turning off this autofill feature for forms or 2) turning off autofill altogether (and what are the other effects of that - will I have to enter my passwords everywhere by hand every day?)

Margaret
Mangek
Regular

Post by Mangek »

This may be a longshot, but try this: (I have a Swedish version, so menus may be named different from what I type here).

Tools > settings

Sequrity tab > saved passwords

Locate any saved passwords related to your site and remove them from the list. Write a new entry and make sure no password is filled in.

Like I said, it's a long shot. I've never had this problem so I don't know for sure if it'll work. :)
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds suspiciously like Windows rather than Mac to me.

FF3 has only just come out for Mac, hence I imagine the other poster is a Mac user too.

I have clicked around everything that seems likely, but none of the options sound right.

Margaret
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

OK, I have found it. It is via Preferences, Security.

This lists all the passwords I have saved.

Does this mean I have to remove all my saved passwords and then type them in manually every time?

Or can I perhaps, where it says: Remember passwords for sites, create an exception for my own s9y login? That would still be irritating, but not quite so bad.

Margaret
Mangek
Regular

Post by Mangek »

Yeah, sorry about the menu confusion - I tried asking a friend what they were, but he didn't respond in good time so I took a shot. Guess I missed. ;)

You should be able to select the saved password you want to remove (not sure about mac, but can't imagine it's much different from pc??), no need to remove them all. Just make sure it's listed under the same "website" (again, I'm guessing the name :p ).

Again, I don't know if this'll even work, but in my imagination removing the saved passwords for any site (making sure to remobe all related) should "fix" the problem, allowing for a new saved password.

(If this new saved password turns out to fill in the password field in new entries I am stumped -- I've never had this happen to me, can't for the life of me think of a reason other than maybe an earlier, different install, to the same url that clashes with the current install of s9y or an accidentally filled in password field).
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Thanks.

The difference in Apple is the menu structure - you click on Firefox Preferences, not Tools.

OK, I have removed the password that I use as weblog administrator at my site. I also closed FF3 without saving the tabs. I then reloaded, my weblog appeared as the home page, and I clicked on the administration option. Funnily enough, I was not asked for my password! I created a new entry, and the problem was solved - no password given. I have not posted a new entry, though.

This is definitely the way to go - thanks very much. However, I suspect there may be more to it than that. I will see how it develops.

I can't imagine that creating a new password would avoid the problem. But I won't try that out unless I'm driven to it.

Margaret
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Looks good. My latest post (link to Citroen ad with a caricature of Germany):

http://transblawg.eu/index.php?/archive ... utsch.html

Margaret