admin template problem

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
sph
Regular

admin template problem

Post by sph »

hello comunity!

i've got some trouble with my blog, especially with the admin-template.

i created a new blog-style and i started from scratch with the frontend. the new theme is finished now and to get things arranged the way i like i used floated divs for general positioning. this means: the sidebars and the main content are all floated, there are some tricky margins and paddings, etc, etc.

until now i haven't had a look on the default-admin-style. now i did and i realize: i can't use my new style.

the main trouble is: if i write a new entry, the preview or the messages after saving are shown on top in a box using my frontend-css-style, what means this preview-layout is floated, too.

but: in the admin-template, everything else is not working with floated elements, so i can't see the preview! there is a small line where the preview- or message-box begins, but then the following input forms cuts it, it seems it overlaps the box nearly complete.

i'm actually not really sure what causes this error, but i guess it's the floating, i've had similar errors when a large, floated element is inside a non-floated box.

well, if i'd know how, i'd re-write the admin template to work with my div-positioning and everything would be fine. but the admin-sites are not built on .tpl-files, so i don't know where to start and if i could re-arrange really _all_ the items there.

this is where i have to ask you: is there a way to fix my problem without re-writing my complete style? god, i hope there is such a solution...

i can imagine a few one:

-> maybe it is possible to re-write the complete admin interface. i'm not very good at php, but i've got time. but this is also the most complicated option i can imagine.

-> it'll be much easier to re-arrange just the problematic messagebox/previewbox in the backend. maybe there is a way to fix the used css-styles to my needs? it'll be fine if this preview would not use the frontend-style, but i have no idea if and how this could be done.

so... i hope someone here can help me to get this thing done.

of course i'd like to link to my blog so that you could see what css i used - but because of this error i'm not using the style right now, so this wouldn't be any help for you.

and because i started from scratch i didn't use the common s9y-classnames in my css, i tried to keep things simple. so if you want to have a look you'll need to view the template-files and the css, please tell me if needed, i can post them here or put them elswhere online, whatever you want.

thank you for taking your time and reading this, much more thanks for helpful following answers :)

greets, sph

ps:

as you see: my native language is not english. i'm from germany, so if you think it'll be better to write in this language for better understanding, i'm fine with it. just tell me or move this topic to the german-section. thankyou!
the island of stupid - come to where the monkey is...
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I cannot speak a word of German, so I can only answer in English. This forum is, however, dominated by German speakers, so if any of them feel they can assist you better, I encourage them to do so.

When previewing an entry, serendipity uses the smarty template preview_iframe.tpl. If your template does not specifically define this file, it will default to using the version located in /templates/default/preview_iframe.tpl. You can copy this file to your own template folder and make changes there as necessary.

I can help guide you through an admin template design, but I suspect you might not need it if you style/edit the preview_iframe.tpl file to meet your needs. Can you try that first, and if necessary, we can move forward editing the admin template files?
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:When previewing an entry, serendipity uses the smarty template preview_iframe.tpl. If your template does not specifically define this file, it will default to using the version located in /templates/default/preview_iframe.tpl. You can copy this file to your own template folder and make changes there as necessary.
I figure this is where the problem is, but we're going to need more info. One option might be that sph is using more than one stylesheet - in that case all those stylesheets have to be included in the preview_iframe.tpl. However, it is much more likely that there is no preview_iframe.tpl.

sph, if that is the case with your template, you're going to have to copy the preview_iframe.tpl from /templates/default/ to /templates/<YOURTEMPLATE>/ and modify it to reflect your changes to the index tpl.

Please also provide an URL to your blog, it will make it so much easier to help you :)

YL
sph
Regular

Post by sph »

hello you both,

thank you for your answers!
Don Chambers wrote: When previewing an entry, serendipity uses the smarty template preview_iframe.tpl. If your template does not specifically define this file, it will default to using the version located in /templates/default/preview_iframe.tpl
this is exactly what i was looking for, but i searched in the wrong places. i modified this file in my template-directory to my needs and now the backend works perfect for me - just great, thanx a lot! :)

@yellowled:

this is the url, what you see now is the new style:

http://blog.plastick.org/

until now i just wrote it for firefox, seems to work fine with it. in the next days i'll fix some unwanted behaviour in ie and test the style in various other browsers - i guess there are some margins & paddings which looks strange right now, just for your information ;)

greets & thanks,

sph
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Great news! Happy to hear it worked out for you. Keep up the great work!!
=Don=
sph
Regular

Post by sph »

awwww, f*ck -.-

don't wonder why the above linked website is down right now - looks like i just messed up my mysql-database :cry:

i used the db for two web-apps: the mentioned s9y-blog and a phpbb-board. the board is no longer needed, so i deleted the installed board-software and it's db-entrys.

yes, i really just deleted the phpbb-db-entrys, not a single s9y-thing. but now the "entries.MYI" seems to be broken, there's an error 144 shown and nothing works.

aww f*ck, that's bad, really bad.

at the moment the whole mysql-thing is down, makes me crazy. and when i tried to backup the vserver from my last data (from yesterday), it crashed nearly completely... now the apache is running, but that's all. no plesk, no virtuozzo, shitshitshit.

a friend of mine is really experienced in such things, let's hope he's got time and will to look after this problem, i guess this time there's no easy solution... -.-