How do I add image to a new blog entry

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
bloginsb
Regular

How do I add image to a new blog entry

Post by bloginsb »

Ok Im a loser, I know. I don't get this stuff so well and Im sure my question is quite revealing of this.

I just created my own blog to keep a diary of my kids. I want to put pictures up on the blog. I have figured out how to add images to the directory, but how do I move the images to an entry? Surely this is possible?!
Oliver
Regular

Post by Oliver »

I hope this helps:
Posting to S9y is as easy! Use the "Open Administration" link on your weblog, enter your login and password. Then click on "Add Entry". From there, you are given the option to give your entry a title, a category, and to set the date and time of your posting (its default is the current date at time). Type in your post and even add pictures using the Image Manager Icon (hovering over the top of each icon on the bars above your post will display text as to what they are...look for the one displaying "Manage Images")
:)

With the first button (img) you can 'link' images from other websites, the second button (media) opens the Media library where you can upload and/or choose a picture to be placed into your entry.

Oliver
bloginsb
Regular

I do not have this toolbar or icons

Post by bloginsb »

I do not have this toolbar or icons on my web entry screen. Do I have to add them? I checked Configurations and other settings and I see nothing obvious.

Thank you
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: I do not have this toolbar or icons

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

You must have a toolbar similar to it. Please make a screenshot of how your screen looks like!

If you use the WYSIWYG editor, the buttonset looks different. In that case, look out for a button that labels "Media database" or something like it, when you mouseover it. The image should look like a table with some pixels in it, next to the icon that looks like a painting.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
bloginsb
Regular

I am really not seeing the toolbar - here is the screenshot

Post by bloginsb »

I am for sure not seeing the toolbar, and I don't know how to do a screenshot and get it into the message body here. My co-worker does so I am afraid I will have to reply with a screenshot on Monday when I get back into the office. Thank you so much. Any advice til then is apreciated.[/img]
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

When you say you've figured out how to put images in a directory, you could be talking about FTP; so let's get a somewhat more detailed version of these instructions for you. I assume you're using the English language settings.

First, you must log in to your blog. On your front page, there should be a "Open login screen" link. Clicking it will present you with a login page, where you must enter the administrator name and password. Clicking the Login button will then take you to the "Serendipity Administration Suite" page.

On the left are several administration options. "Add Media" inserts pictures into the Media Library. "Manage Directories" lets you create directories in the Media Library. "Media Library" lets you see what you've uploaded to the Media Library thus far, and provides filters to help you find that one image you want from all you've uploaded.

Start a new entry with the "New Entry" link. This page prompts for a title, category, and entry contents. The large "Entry Body" box is for the portion of the entry that will appear on the front page; another one is hidden just underneath it, behind the "+" button labeled "Extended Body". The "Extended Body" box is for the portion of the entry that appears only on its own page, not on any summary page.

Above the "Entry Body" box (and above the "Extended Body" box, when it is open), there is a bar of buttons and a list of emoticons. The emoticons shown by Oliver are extensive, and apparently include some not provided by the default plugins; yours may look different. Regardless, the button bar should contain an "img" button and a "Media" button. The "Media" button will insert an image from the Media Library at the current cursor position, providing a pop-up Media Library chooser screen to help you make your choice.

If the button isn't there, something went wrong with your Serendipity installation, or you have a version so old that no one remembers it. The version numbers of both Serendipity and PHP are displayed at the bottom of every Administration Suite page; have a look an make sure you're using Serendipity 1.3 and PHP 5.0 or better.

If you're using PHP 4.2, Serendipity will still work, but some plugins won't. PHP versions older than 5.0 have some known limitations and security problems; you should talk to your hosting service and get them to upgrade as soon as possible.

If you're using a Serendipity older than 1.3, you can upgrade simply by getting a newer version from s9y.org, unzipping it, and uploading the files over the existing ones; the next time you visit the Administration Suite, Serendipity will upgrade itself.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
bloginsb
Regular

Screenshot

Post by bloginsb »

Thanks so much Judebert.

I just installed Serendipity, so the version is 1.3.1. The PHP, however, is only 4.4.0. So maybe that is the problem. Either that or it didn't isntall properly I guess. I definitely do not have that toolbar. Here is a screenshot.

[img][img]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn17 ... nshot3.jpg[/img][/img]
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Screenshot

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Your screenshot reveals that there must be a javascript error happening.Check your browser's error console, there should be some entries why the page does not successfully load.

Usually these errors are caused by misonconfigured paths inside the s9y configuration. Check that all of them are properly entered and end in a slash ("/").

Also make sure that javascript is enabled in your browser.

Regards,
Garvin
bloginsb
Regular

Update: My hosting company upgraded to PHP 5.0 for me

Post by bloginsb »

My hosting company (100webspace) upgraded to 5.0 for me (apparently you can either run on 4.4 or 5.0 so it was an easy fix for me) and I still don't have the toolbar. Is there anything else that I would need to do if this were the problem?

We had a tough time installing Serendipity, so now I guess I am thinking it was an installation problem. Do I have to re-install the whole thing all over?

The problem I was having during installation seemed to be an issue dealing with connection. It looked like Serendipity was having to log in every time a new file was being copied (yeah, like thousands of times), but the web hosting company was not perfectly coordinated to let it log in every time. So about a fourth of every file would not get installed. So we went through this process of re-submitting the failed files for installation. After about 5 passes of this, we finally got everything copied and installed. This seems suspect to say the least. Any suggestions? Do I have to re-install the whole thing or just a couple plug-ins?
bloginsb
Regular

Error console

Post by bloginsb »

Thanks garvin

I use Internet Explorer 6.0. I don't know where the "error console" is. Can you advise?

I went to tools\internet options\advanced. under the heading "Java (Sun)" it is checked off and referring JRE 1.5.0_06. Does this mean that javascript is enabled?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Yes, needing to reinstall the files multiple times raises the probability that one or more of them were corrupted or missing. You may not even have the JS that we call to display and hide the category list, for instance.

The Java option is not the same as the Javascript option. Java is not Javascript, even though the names are misleading.

Here's the top Google result for how to enable Javascript in IE6.

Getting Javascript debugging from Internet Explorer is considerably difficult. Firefox exists for Windows; even if you don't want to use it regularly, you could install it for debugging and tell us what Javascript errors (if any) appear in the Javascript Console.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
bloginsb
Regular

Post by bloginsb »

I was using Filezilla to FTP my files. I figured out how to configure a connect profile so that it would only have to log in one time and copy all the files. I re-copied all the files yesterday and still no toolbar.

I went into IE6 and made sure that javascript was enabled (it was).

I do not know how to find the error console in IE6, so I am afraid I couldn't follow that advice.

Garvin said "Usually these errors are caused by misonconfigured paths inside the s9y configuration. Check that all of them are properly entered and end in a slash ("/")."
- I went to Admin\Configuration\Paths and looked at all the paths. It looks like all of the paths have a "/".
- Should I look in the other sections of Configuration?, like Database Settings, Permalinks, General, Appearance, Image Conversion?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I could offer to have a look with my Firefox -- this has an Error Console, as opposed to that st*pid IE6, which is a pain todebug. I would just need a temporary s9y user login to your blog, and then I could see what the trouble is. It should really only be a missing file, I believe.

Bestregards,
Garvin
bloginsb
Regular

Post by bloginsb »

That would be great. How do I get you your login name and password?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Please send it to me via PM or email to "mail at garv dot in".

Regards,
Garvin