faq request: lite versus full

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
philip
Regular

faq request: lite versus full

Post by philip »

Hello,

I'm not fully sure what the difference between LITE and FULL is, especially with regard to upgrading serendipity. The LITE install currently says this:

"Download latest LITE release (March 18th, 2008 - only default template, no shared installation dummy files)"

I don't know what this means to me... shared installation dummy files? Should I use this to upgrade? I don't know, I suggest writing a detailed FAQ and linking to it within the LITE download page. Note: I am not asking for the answer only in this forum thread... ;-)
yellowled
Regular

Re: faq request: lite versus full

Post by yellowled »

philip wrote:The LITE install currently says this:

"Download latest LITE release (March 18th, 2008 - only default template, no shared installation dummy files)"
This is a smaller download archive which does not include the extra templates besides the default template which usually come with a s9y archive. I don't know much about shared installations, but if you're not using one of the templates which come with s9y and don't have a shared installation, you can use this to upgrade.

YL
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

The LITE version doesn't include any templates other than the default template. It also doesn't include the "shared installation" files.

If you're using the FULL version, you can upgrade by installing a newer LITE version. If you use a template other than default, it will not be upgraded; everything else will. Nothing will be deleted, however. (You won't free up any space on your server.)

If you're using the LITE version, you can upgrade by installing a newer FULL version. Everything will be upgraded, and you'll receive some new templates.

The LITE archive is smaller, and therefore faster to download. It also takes up less space, for users on restricted servers.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
philip
Regular

Post by philip »

So what exactly is a "shared installation dummy file" ?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

There's a semi-supported way to set up Serendipity so that multiple blogs run on the same server, sharing the core files. Each blog gets its own templates directory, and a few other directories, but all the blogs point at the same core files.

This is called "shared installation". It's highly specific to the server, but we provided some files that work in one specific instance. Of course, they need to be filled in with the appropriate server information; therefore they're "dummy" files.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal