{Newbie} Problem with editing

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
akashlal

{Newbie} Problem with editing

Post by akashlal »

Hi

I just installed "Serendipity" for the very first time. I don;t have PHP or HTML coding experience. Now when I try to post an entry, I can't use coloured fonts, tabs etc. Please help me out. Is there can plugin which I can use to do it easily? Thanks.
subberman77
Regular

Post by subberman77 »

do you have activated the WYSIWYG Editor?

you can activate it in your admin menu with a click on "preferences" (the 2nd link from above)
Indyviews
Regular

Admin Menu

Post by Indyviews »

I would like to try the wysiwyg also and piddle with html, but where is the Admin Menu? I haven't found a help page either, sure would be handy. Thanks for any help.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

The editor you use is a personal setting. Open the backend administration, then select the link labeled "Personal Settings". There you will find an option labeled "Use WYSIWYG editor". Set that to "yes". That will allow you to add formatting, such as different fonts, colors, etc.
=Don=
Indyviews
Regular

Post by Indyviews »

Don, I must be missing something...I had already set the wysiwyg on my settings and also once while installing Serendipity. I just don't see anyplace to work on my site or with wysiwyg.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Indyviews - just so we are clear, the wysiwyg editor is for editing ENTRIES (aka.articles), not your entire site...

If your personal settings are set to use that editor, your ENTRIES/ARTICLES can be created/edited using an editor that will transform the wysiwyg styles (ie, font colors, sizes, etc) to actual html code. I hope that makes sense.
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Are you maybe missing the admin interface? It can be found by clicking on the "Admin" link inside your sidebar of your blog, or via http://yourblog/serendipity_admin.php

HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Indyviews
Regular

Thanks for the info

Post by Indyviews »

Thanks for the replies..Gavin and Don. I have been able to get the Admin page.

Thanks Don for explaining the use of the wysiwyg and I can use the HTML when nescessary.

From reading the reviews before signing up for Serendipity, I was under the impression I could make minor changes to the theme such as link and background colors.
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Thanks for the info

Post by Don Chambers »

Indyviews wrote:From reading the reviews before signing up for Serendipity, I was under the impression I could make minor changes to the theme such as link and background colors.
You can make changes - but that is typically done by directly editing the theme's stylesheet(s). If you provide a link to your site, and explain what you might want to change, I can probably provide you with suggestions as to how to make the modifications.
=Don=
Indyviews
Regular

Blog Address

Post by Indyviews »

My blog is at www.stevehulldrawings.com/blog - I wish to change the blue background to a dark gray and the blue links to a very light gray.

There is a chance later I may want to go to color but it wouldn't be blue.

Steve
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Your template is templates/mt3-chalkboard and the stylesheet is style.css located in that folder.

The blue background color is defined here (about 40-50 lines down from the top):

Code: Select all

body {
	margin: 0px 0px 20px 0px;
	background-color: #6699CC;
}
I personally feel you should maintain some contrast with the content area, so perhaps try #555555 which is a dark grey, but lighter than the content area or simply black - #000000.

The various general links have their states defined here:

Code: Select all

a:link {
	color: #6699CC;
	}

a:visited {
	}

a:active {
	}

a:hover {
	color: #99CC66;
	}
Once again is the blue #6699CC - perhaps try #777777 for each link, visited and active. BTW - a:active is supposed to be defined after a:hover, so it probably does not work anyway. Additionally, if I define active, I usually make it the same as hover.
=Don=
Indyviews
Regular

Post by Indyviews »

Thanks so much for the info Don...I'll check this out. I manages to change some colors on a few WP themes but that is about all I can do with CSS

Steve
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

No problem Steve! Let me know if you need anything else.
=Don=