adsense in the middle of an entry, is it possible?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Dr.They
Regular

adsense in the middle of an entry, is it possible?

Post by Dr.They »

I am using the bulletproof template cuz it seems like the most user friendly for someone also wanting a lot of options. What I haven't figured out yet is how to have the landing page show the entire entry instead of having a (very nondescript) "continue reading" link.

Am I missing a button that i should check?

Also, I have been reading about how a lot of people are getting much better adsense results by placing some ads in the middle of the entry body.

I have kind of figured out that it may not be possible, although these options have been presented

serendipity_event_head_nugget
Allows you to insert HTML-Code into the HEAD-area of your blog. You can use this for meta-tags or JavaScript inclusion.

But this is just for the bots right?
Then we have...

serendipity_event_page_nugget
Puts an HTML nugget on top or bottom of the page, or inside the page's HEAD tag

That would work if I loaded it with the adsense script correct? But it would float at the top or bottom of the entry, yes?

So anyhow, can I put adsense in the body of an entry?
AND
How do I get it to display the fuill entry copy?
Dr. They- Mystical Genius, Interdimensional Man of Mystery... only at JoinThey.com
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

To display an entire article, the easiest way would be to include the entire text within the entry body and not split any of it into the extended entry body. Anything more sophisticated than that would require changing the template. My personal preference is that cramming an entire entry into the entry body is only suitable for relatively brief entries.

Regarding adsense, yes there are plugins that will insert things into the body or entry footer.

There are other options as well... you could use an extended property field to insert entry-specific ads. You could also modify the entries.tpl file to include a container for an advertisement, then add a variable to the template configuration that contains the code to place within that container. You still need to decide WHERE to place it... random is not much of an option... it would need to be somewhere specific, like before the entry, the very top, between the entry body and extended body, the very bottom, or after.

Still another option is use code that places an advertisement after every X number of entries on an overview page.
=Don=
Dr.They
Regular

yikes

Post by Dr.They »

This is way over my head

use an extended property field to insert entry-specific ads. You could also modify the entries.tpl file to include a container for an advertisement, then add a variable to the template configuration that contains the code to place within that container. You still need to decide WHERE to place it... random is not much of an option... it would need to be somewhere specific, like before the entry, the very top, between the entry body and extended body, the very bottom, or after.

I will gladly kiss many butts of people that know this stuff, but I hope to not have to learn it. Although I have probably said that about most of the things I know.

So anyhow, a button to insert a google box sounds like a pretty wonderful feature! Particularly if it was as simple as adding an image. C'mon people now, smile on your brother and invent it.

I will kiss your butt in public even (cheeks only, no tongue).

Thanks for your input Don!

But since you're a savvy cat, is there an "for dummy" way of making a custom header using the bullrtproof template?
http://www.luxurymediagroup.net/serendipity/index.php

I have been doing print design for years and just started doing web stuff and want to do a nice beginners blog. So I want to keep things really simple. Simple enough for a small biz owner to be able to fit in his life.
Inserting the image on the right of the page is easy enough but I think I would rather look snazzy like your site does.

http://jointhey.com/
Dr. They- Mystical Genius, Interdimensional Man of Mystery... only at JoinThey.com
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Sent you a PM to gather more info..... hopefully you will receive that and respond.

I (as one of the bulletproof developers) do not want to add any functionality to the bulletproof template to do what you want. It just was not designed for that. But I think we can get what you want.

Sorry for the comments that were "way over your head"... at the time I responded, I was working on another template ad was "in technical mode" and probably used language that does not easily translate to a new user... sorry about that! :oops:

Butt kissing is not required to get you where you need to be! I'll do my best! If you appreciate the effort, you can always express that via my friend paypal!!! :lol:

Custom headers are already built into bulletproof. Go to Manage Styles and you will see an option to use a custom header image. When using one, especially if it is full width, you will probably want to turn off the options for displaying the blog title and blog description.

I understand your background in print... have a number of friends with the same background and have learned a thing or 2 from them, plus taught them a thing or two!! :D

Let's take this a step at a time. I'm fairly confident we can get you where you want to be. Start by replying to my PM... I'll make sure anything that benefits the general serendipity audience makes it way back to this post!
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Don, don't forget the "Include entry data/templates/blocks" plugin. With it you can define a "block" of HTML, such as the Google Adsense code, and manually insert the block anywhere in an entry. It also supports adding a random block between every N entries on the front page.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

That's exactly the plugin I was thinking of when I said "....there are plugins that will insert things into the body or entry footer".. I just could not remember the name of it! :D
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

You must have a nasty cold/flu thing from your kids. :lol:

Get better soon!
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
ormus7577
Regular

Post by ormus7577 »

judebert wrote:Don, don't forget the "Include entry data/templates/blocks" plugin. With it you can define a "block" of HTML, such as the Google Adsense code, and manually insert the block anywhere in an entry. It also supports adding a random block between every N entries on the front page.
Man, I've been using s9y for years now and always been looking for a plugin like that. How could I miss this?!? Thanks a lot for the pointer, judebert!
my installations:
family blog: http://familie.lobenstein.info/
personal blog: http://www.ormus.info/
OrmusTool Homepage: http://tool.ormus.info/
Online Adventskalender: http://www.ormus.info/pages/advent.html