Thumbnail gallery static page

Creating and modifying plugins.
Thomas
Regular

Thumbnail gallery static page

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

yesterday I got a test installation of s9y-b6 running ( a bit tricky on a W2K). After playing a while around I think it would be time to write a plugin, which I still miss.

There's the plugin Gallery (not for Coppermine) and Thumbnail Page buth both plugins display ALL images from the upload directory. I miss a functionality like having a dedicated upload directory and display all the images from there.
This would make is easier to create static thumbnail pages just with the images you want.

What do you think? Is it worth to write it?

BTW, I started already to write a little bit, but I was wondering about the parameter stackable. There's no description what's the meaning of.
Generally I miss some information about what methods can be used/are available to use and some more technical reference.

Regards, Thomas
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Thumbnail gallery static page

Post by garvinhicking »

I'd think it would be cool if you not write a new plugin, but adapt the current ones to choose a certain path. That should be easier, and would be cool to have? :)

About 'stackable': This means if a plugin can be installed more than once.

I'm sorry that some information was missing. I just updated the plugin API documentation to reflect some new changes. If you miss some more information about things, please tell me. I'm eager to insert missing stuff if you point your fingers at it. But then I'm not that fond of writing up documentation currently, so I need actual examples :)

I often learn things by looking at existing plugins, so it's hard for me to think of documenting everything :(

REgards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/

Post by Guest »

Hi,

well, I thought about adapting a previous existing plugin but the reason for not doing it is simple: they use the display in a different way.

Gallery shows the similar thing as when in the administrator panel, managing your media. It shows the whole content of the upload directory, including all subdirectories.
Thumbnail page shows you the same, but leaving off the buttons on top. Btw, I tried it yesterday on my test installation, it didn't work.

My idea now is to create static thumb pages which refer to just one directory, and nothing else. Only the content of the specified directory will be displayed.

Example: /thumbs/20050413 is the name of the static page. It is configured in that way that it reads the directory /uploads/mypix1 and displays only them.
/thumbs/20050414 is the next static page, and refers to the directory /uploads/mypix1/part2. Notice that the first thumbs page do not include the subdirectory part2.

Currently I've figured out that 3 plugins are useful to do this:
- guestbook (handling of specific tables in the db)
- static page (handling of static pages)
- linklist (additional point in admin panel)

Regards, Thomas
Martin
Regular

Post by Martin »

Are we talking here about a plugin that will take a folder of images, create thumbnails and then show these thumbs with links to larger images in a static page?

Because if we are, I would LOVE a plug like that... Gimme!

:)

-m
Thomas
Regular

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

your post gave me another idea. Thanks.

First I thought it would be enough selecting a folder that comes within the s9y functionality (means, located under /uploads).
But your idea would increase the usage of the plugin definetly. The only negative thing I see is that these directories outside the s9y functionality might not be manageable. You have to take care about them on your own.

Regards, Thomas
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

If anyone is still interested in this, please take a look at the new version of the usergallery plugin. It now supports an additional style which is a simple list of thumbnails from a specific directory. The plugin is stackable.