Install on new server fails

Having trouble installing serendipity?
vincem
Regular

Install on new server fails

Post by vincem »

Hi,

I recently changed hosting providers and after failing to migrate my blog, I attempted a fresh install. I get through the install process fine with green flags, but when the time comes to "go to my blog", I get nothing but a blank page.

I've tried and re-tried, must be missing something important but can't figure out what. I have access to the administration interface (even though some things are wrong with it, for instance the "Install new event plugins" page won't load at all) but the main blog won't load.

Also in the admin interface, all the items are linked by underscores, so the page's title is SERENDIPITY_ADMIN_SUITE.

I've checked write permissions, htaccess file, the database was created fine, I'm at a loss... Could there be an incompatibility at the server level?

www.photo-xposure.com/blog2
id: test
pass: test

Cheers,

Vince
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

Does this part of the FAQ help at all? http://www.s9y.org/11.html#A24
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Hello Azel,

I'm afraid the FAQ's didn't help, I read through the whole thing without sucess. My .htaccess file seems fine. I'm puzzled by the fact that I can run the admin interface, but that all the titles or items appear not as captions but as their coding equivalent, with underscores linking the worlds. CSS works though. But nothing when I try to load the blog front end.

I've tried setting the database server to localhost but that generates a database error, so I know that when I set the right server, something happens, just no display...
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Your error usually happens when files are missing or were not completely uploaded. Please re-upload the release package and make sure your FTP client reports no errors.

Also, a blank frontpage means that some fatal PHP error occurs. Please ask your hoster about PHP error logs, or try to set it in .htaccess:

Code: Select all

display_errors On
HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Hello garvin,

As always, thanks for dropping by. I've double and triple checked my ftp uploads on different installations.

Here's the error log from a single attempt at loading the page:
PHP Warning: Module 'iconv' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Module 'imap' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Module 'mysql' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Module 'mysqli' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Module 'odbc' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Module 'pgsql' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Module 'SQLite' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: include(/hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/include/functions_smarty.inc.php on line 742
PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/hsphere/shared/apache/libexec/php5ext/php/:/hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/:/hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/:/hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/:') in /hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/include/functions_smarty.inc.php on line 742
PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function assign_by_ref() on a non-object in /hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/include/genpage.inc.php on line 36
I wish I spoke Chinese, too. ;-)

Regards,

Vince
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Whoah, that's a lot of error. About those "Module already loaded", you should talk to your new hoster. There'S something fishy going on, you shouldn't get thosemessages.

As for the Files, this file here is missing:

/hsphere/local/home/vmounier/photo-xposure.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Wow, Garvin, thanks!

You might be on to something big here. The file you say is missing is actually there but I just realized that my ftp software was set to force lowercase file names. That might be the source of all my trouble. I'll re-upload everything tonight and hope for the best!

Kind regards,

Vince
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Trouble fixed. My problem was indeed caused by the files being saved in lowercase on the server. Thanks a lot for giving me the clue, Garvin!

Cheers,

Vince