Autosave plugin

Creating and modifying plugins.
doomsayer
Regular

Post by doomsayer »

A few things to check out might be the editor you are using, if you are using the versioning plugin, if you are using the current version of the plugin and serendipity. Also is there an [AUTOSAVE] entry? I think you are supposed to edit the one without the [AUTOSAVE] in it, but it should still be there.
jumanjisama
Regular

Post by jumanjisama »

i am not using any htmlarea editor, i am using the versioning plugin and i am using the latest version of the autosave plugin and s9y (1.0). Does it make it any difference if i edit the [AUTOSAVE] entry, it should still function as normal, right? anyway, do i need to remove the versioning plugin??
doomsayer
Regular

versioning and autosave

Post by doomsayer »

I downloaded a brand new version of Serendipity on a new machine and loaded only the autosave, sparticus, and versioning plugins. autosave + versioning does give the exactly the same problem you described. I uninstalled the versioning and the autosave went back to working. On Jay's blog he mentioned that it was not tested with the versioning plugin. So now we know it doesn't work.

At this point I would email jay.bertrand AT free.fr or post on his blog http://jay.bertrand.free.fr/blog/index. ... l#extended
jumanjisama
Regular

Post by jumanjisama »

Thanks man, i have decided to remove the versioning plugin, since i don't use it much either. Now the autosafe plugin works just like i expected. Thanks again :)
PHPaws
Regular

Post by PHPaws »

Okay...I realize that this thread is ancient. Still, the problem with autosaving existing entires still seems to exist. It saves new entries, with existing entries it doesn't work. At leat not here. :)

FAQ:
  • Serendipity 1.2-beta1 (with Exploid Fix)
  • Autosave Plugin v0.2.2
  • PHP 5.2.2 (Hardened, Suhosin) (if that matters somehow)
I'd really like to use this Plugin. But I just can't get it to work properly. :(
randulo
Regular

Autosave character problem

Post by randulo »

I am using Serendipity 0.9.1 with the latest Autosave plugin which users have asked for. It works great except that in French, it changes the character encoding to what looks like UTF-8 while the blog is in "Native" (Latin). I have written to the author but this is a bit urgent so if Garvin (ahem) or anyone knows how I might fix this, I would very much appreciate it. It must be some trivial thing to NOT use that encoding. Is it due to the js ajax stuff?

I know 0.9 is OLD. I also know that when you have a site in production that people depend on, you don't always want to risk downtime by updating if not absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help. Otherwise we can't use the plugin until I fond someone to fix this.

r
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Autosave character problem

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi randulo!

I'm very sorry, I don't understand the specifics of the autosave plugin. I very much assume that it's caused by the AJAX request, yes.

So you might need to change your blog to use UTF-8 encoding, and converting all entries to UTF-8. That's a bit of work, though, and is best done by exporting SQL dumps, changing the encoding, and re-uploading the dump.

This is actually not a matter of s9y 0.9, it would behave the same way in s9y 1.3.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
randulo
Regular

Post by randulo »

garvinhicking wrote: I'm very sorry, I don't understand the specifics of the autosave plugin. I very much assume that it's caused by the AJAX request, yes.
So you might need to change your blog to use UTF-8 encoding, and converting all entries to UTF-8. That's a bit of work, though, and is best done by exporting SQL dumps, changing the encoding, and re-uploading the dump.
This is actually not a matter of s9y 0.9, it would behave the same way in s9y 1.3.
Hi Garvin,

One of the things that makes Serendipity GREAT is the fact that you care enough to respond to such posts in the first place. This is why I am moved to donate from time to time and recommend that others donate as well :) Thanks for the info.

The fact is, I really should convert to UTF-8 because we would like to do some Japanese. I'm just afraid of messing everything up. I should have done it when there were few posts.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Randulo!

Moving is not THAT hard, if you know phpMyAdmin a bit.

I can offer to do the move for you if you can provide me with a (temporary) phpMyAdmin account access to your database. It's pretty straight-forward: Export, edit the dump with an editor, clear (move) the database, re-import the dump, switch s9y to "UTF-8".

It's all well, and when you have a backup, nothing can go wrong :)

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
randulo
Regular

Post by randulo »

garvinhicking wrote:Moving is not THAT hard, if you know phpMyAdmin a bit.
No, just scary and if it goes wrong, time consuming to recover :)

However, I do know php and see how you can write the converter with about four functions (fopen, fread, utf8encode, fclose) in a loop that writes to stdout reading the mysqldump of the serendipity_entries table:

Code: Select all

php -f my_wonderful_converter.php > utf8_version.sql
Tell you what though, if I get messed up, I'll certainly take you up on your kind offer (after the restore)!

Thanks again,

randulo

PS, I must update some of these old installs!
randulo
Regular

UTF-8

Post by randulo »

Someone should note (unless I missed it) this plugin REQUIRES UTF-8 to work properly in languages with accents.