Wikipedia Wikticonary

Creating and modifying plugins.
Wesley B
Regular

Post by Wesley B »

I've continued to look into wikipedia options more, and the current wikipedia database, if I remember correctly, is around 32 gigabytes.

Definately too large for me to host locally :lol:

Wikitionary is quite a bit smaller. Not sure if the output would be as nice.

My blog is very low volume, and if anyone knew how this worked in trillian, I'd still be very interested in giving it a try on my blog.

What would the code look like?

Wesley B
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Post by MidNiteRaver »

Marinmo wrote:
Wesley B wrote:Is it possible to download a database from wikipedia? I could get along just fine hosting the data locally and giving up having real-time access to the latest definitions and entries.
No it's (practically) not. Sorry. You could manually enter those, or why not just use the abbr tag?

Example (from my own blog);

Code: Select all

As I'm living in Sweden, iTunes is not available to me. This sucks ofcourse, but then again, I never really cared for <abbr title="Digital Rights Management">DRM</abbr> low-bitrate music.
Is manually entering, but on mouseover the title pops up if the user is using a decent browser (not IE).
This works for the words that you rarely type with small definitions. I have a medical based site which will be accessed by laypersons and professionals.

I think a module which allows you to create your own library linked to keywords would be the best was to go.
Wesley B
Regular

Post by Wesley B »

I'm more interested in the entertainment value, and wouldn't really care to build my own mini-encylcopedia.

So I'd like to get an idea on how complicated code similar to what trillian uses would be, and get the data straight from wikipedia.

Wesley B
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Creating an own dictionary is easy using the "Content Rewrite" plugin. Search the forum for detailed instructions on using it, but it allows you to rewrite words like "s9y" with "<a href="www.s9y.org" title="Serendipity">s9y</a>". And other stuff.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/