disabling trackbacks?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
fashionair
Regular

disabling trackbacks?

Post by fashionair »

After having successfully stopped comment spamming thanks to the spam plugin, I'm now getting trackback spams. I don't really need trackbacks for my blog anyway, but couldn't find any option to turn it off. Does such an option exist?

Thanks.
ned
Regular

Post by ned »

This option exists for version 0.8 (Not yet released but deemed quite stable.)

I have been using v 0.8 with no problems - in fact I love it. Download the latest CVS and install. Then you can disable trackbacks using the spam protector plugin.
fashionair
Regular

Post by fashionair »

Thanks, I'll try that.
Roaster
Regular

Post by Roaster »

Hi,
I have been using v 0.8 with no problems - in fact I love it. Download the latest CVS and install. Then you can disable trackbacks using the spam protector plugin.
I'm using v0.8 and the spam protector plugin, however I did not found the option to disable trackbacks - at least I could not find this option in German language.

Could sbdy please assist?

Thx,
Roaster
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Me again :D

I want to hide the trackbacks completely in 0.8
Based on a different thread here i managed to get rid of them on the frontpage by editing the enries template.

Is there a way to get rid of them in the articles (above the comments) too?

I searched the other templates but couldn't find a way, or am i too blind again?

Or do i have to edit some php-file (hope not, as i couldn't figure it out on 0.71
already, after saving the php i always got errors)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

You can get rid of them by editing entries.tpl once again - just search for the 'Trackbacks' reference. That would be the best way for your case...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Wolfgang
Regular

Post by Wolfgang »

That worked great, thank you. Serendipity now running on two sites here.

Maybe you should think about a feature in the admin interface to hide the trackbacks easily. I already saw a bunch of people here who dislike the trackback feature in general because some users might be confused and to be honest, now without the trackbacks the design looks much clearer.

Besides that, if you hide the calendar and the trackbacks sertendipity has the look of a simple multipurpose cms (which it honestly is in my opinion) and not only a blog. That might add to it's popularity.

On the other hand compared to 0.71 I can see some progress as it's very easy now to remove trackbacks by just kicking out some html, so that even PHP losers like me can manage to get rid of them.

Once again thank you...
fashionair
Regular

Post by fashionair »

So is entries.tpl the only file you'd need to delete it in?
Wolfgang
Regular

Post by Wolfgang »

Yes entries.tpl is the one...