CHMOD after installation?

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Roaster
Regular

CHMOD after installation?

Post by Roaster »

Hi,

after copying all files via FTP (using SmartFTP) to the ftp server, I've set all direccories to 777 to get a proper setup.

I've now read the following:
After the install is complete, you should change those base permissions to allow only your web-server user (e.g. nobody) to access the serendipity directory. All subdirectories should be writeable for the web-server user, all the files should be 644, unless otherwise contained in our installation archive.
What does this mean: "All subdirectories should be writeable for the web-server user"? What CHMOD should I execute? Set this to all directories manually?

What does this mean: "all the files should be 644" ? Or better it's almost impossible to set this for all files using SmartFTP without root access to my web location.

Thanks for any hints,
Roaster
Thomas
Regular

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

I just took a look on my server with s9y running and actually the only directory where s9y/httpd server needs write access is the upload directory. Maybe take a look also for the archives directory.

But everything else can be chmoded to 755 or so (depending on which user is running the httpd daemon and what your own username is).

Regards, Thomas
Roaster
Regular

Post by Roaster »

@Thomas,

what program do you use to set CHMOD XXX on folders *and* subfolders?

Using SmartFTP I can only set/use CHMOD on the first level of a directory. All subfolders and files still carry the old permissions.

cu,
Roaster
Marinmo
Regular

Post by Marinmo »

You can send raw commands using FlashFXP.

EDIT:
Clarification needed I felt; you can in other words send raw commands, like chmod, using FlashFXP. Not sure wether it applies to the sub-dirs though.
255 characters is not enough.
Roaster
Regular

Post by Roaster »

Marinmo,
Not sure wether it applies to the sub-dirs though.
Yes, and this is exactly my problem, SmartFtp does IMO not offers this option, too.

cu,
Roaster
Marinmo
Regular

Post by Marinmo »

Best way to find out is to try it I guess ...
255 characters is not enough.