Announcing s9y-users.com

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
carl_galloway
Regular

Announcing s9y-users.com

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi everybody,

I've been working on a grand plan for world domination which starts with my latest creation, s9y-users.com. If you want to blog about this, please feel free to link to my blog entry about it where at least people can make comments.

This is a new Serendipity community website in development, I hope to have the full site launched by the end of January 2007. At the moment it has a directory where Serendipity powered blogs can get a free listing. I'll make a separate announcement about launching the site fully, but in the mean time anyone who wants to add their site to the directory is free to do so. Now some of you may have problems with the site, its still under active development, so if you do, just PM me with the details.

Also, the googlebot has visited so I'm certain it won't be long until your links are indexed.

Oh, one more thing, the script you see is a dedicated directory script, but I'll be embedding Serendipity into this soon so I haven't abandoned our favorite blog engine.
abdussamad
Regular

Post by abdussamad »

Is this a replacement for the who's using page?
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

No, Jannis and I have talked about the directory vs the who's who page, and we both agree that Serendipity users will benefit from having both. The directory is sorted by category whereas the who's who page is sorted by country. At some point in the near future thumbnails will be avail on the directory as well, but it also drags in alexa info. If I wanted to add pagarank this is also possible but I need to see how users are going to respond to the directory. BTW, the template is not finished yet, and reciprocal links are not required, but the submit form is still being designed.
Neut
Regular

Post by Neut »

Hi Carl,

i tried to submit a link several times, but it's always "An error occured while saving the link". Suggestions?
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

The script I'm using isn't as reliable as Serendipity :D but if you email me the details I'll add them even if I have to use phpmyadmin

Carl
Neut
Regular

Post by Neut »

PM!
saipun
Regular

Post by saipun »

i'm not using english in my site.. i guess my registration there does mean anything .. :cry:
Neut
Regular

Post by Neut »

saipun wrote:i'm not using english in my site.. i guess my registration there does mean anything .. :cry:
Nor do I, but why should this stop you?
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi all,

After a couple of months of not being able to moderate the s9y users directory I have today deleted all the spam that flooded the pending list, and also approved over 20 new serendipity blogs.

I'm not able to check this very often at the moment, but I'll try to make sure I check it every week for the next 2 months. After that I hope to be able to check it every day again.

BTW, I am now in Germany, but I don't have adsl or regular access to wlan.

Tchuss

Carl
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

Thx for the add, Carl. Enjoy your stay here in Germany :wink:

- Mattsches
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Congratulations to http://www.atari-home.de/ who have just become the 200th site to be included in the s9y users directory.

By a quirky stroke of fate, this site is also using a pimped up version of the new bulletproof template and Serendipity 1.2

Carl
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Just to let everyone know, the users directory now lists 239 Serendipity blogs and spam is now completely under control. I've been going through all the listings and editing obvious spelling mistakes where I find them, and also approving some new categories.

The directory now has a pagerank of 5 and some google data centers are suggesting it could be about to go to a PR6 so it's worthwhile getting your serendipity blog listed for the backlink. So go ahead, submit your site. If you know of any Serendipity powered blog or website that contains a serendipity blog that isn't in the directory, please let me know, or add it yourself.

All sites that get submitted are usually approved within a few hours and the googlebot crawls the site every couple of days. If you have any questions, email me carlgalloway [at] gmail [dot] com
tpost
Regular

Post by tpost »

Can we post multi-category blogs as separate entries? ;)
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi everyone,

The serendipity directory has been overhauled, it isn't a directory anymore, well actually the old directory pages are still there but they're now just static html pages. I don't plan to update these too often because I was getting several hundred spammers per day trying to get listed. If anyone really wants to be listed in the directory from now on then the only way is to message me with your site, it's url, a description etc.

The good news is that the site s9y-users.com now has a Serendipity powered blog on it and I'm going to update the blog as often as I can. Unfortunately I need to pay my rent etc and I don't have a regular job, all of my income comes from online work, so this means the blog will have advertising on it, but if it can make enough money to pay for my time then I'll be able to do more to promote Serendipity and people who use s9y.

So, if you want to have your site showcased on s9y-users.com, simply email me the url of your blog and tell me something about why you use s9y and if you made any changes to the theme, or plugins, or even to the core files.

If anyone is interested in being a site sponsor, please message me for details.

Sorry I've had to pimp my soul, I know some people think open source should be free, themes will still be free, and any hints or tutorials I write will be free, so nobody will be disadvantaged. Thanks for everyone's support,

Carl
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Hey, a man's got to eat!

It would be nice if everything in the world was free. But since you have to pay for food, ads on your site are sometimes a necessary evil.

I'll submit my blog soon.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal