New template: (to be determined) (beta)

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Matthew that's a shameful comment,you should make the templates forum your first click everytime :lol:

As for the usergallery, I'm having a great time playing with this on my test server, and you offer to do more with theses plugins, ooh just wait, I'll have a list as long as your arm before you know it :D
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

mgroeninger wrote:I'd love to see you fiddle with the User Gallery plugin, because I think there are a bunch of fun things you could do with it (especially now that it can be the front page)...
Well, I have some spare time now that this one's almost done, so I'll give it (and the new contact form) a try later :)
mgroeninger wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread... I just don't follow the themes section very often, so I'm not sure how much template designers know about the plugins I work on... :oops:
No problem, Matthew. Same here with the plugins forum - I try to keep up, but there's just too many of them ...

Here's how I handle plugins in terms of template design (and I recall some fellow template guys doing it quite similar): whenever I do a new template, I do it based on how I use serendipity, which means I cover the features (and plugins) I use myself. Now if somebody asks me to cover a plugin I don't use myself, it depends. In this case, the template was partially an 'order' by Robert, so I felt obligated to cover plugins he uses. In other cases, I might go 'Nah, that's too much work'. I'm sorry about that, but it's just too many of them, and most of us have to do something for a living :)

However, it is much easier to incorporate a plugin into a template if the plugin has its own .tpl files so I can adapt them to the rest of the template. I don't mean to be rude, but in some cases the code generated by a plugin is just too complicated to style it properly without too much hassle. If a plugin offers a .tpl file, I can edit it, add some divs and spans, tweak it until it does what I want :wink:

So possibly, there should be more cooperation between the 'plugin department' and the 'template department' :) I'd be happy to advise on output code or revise a .tpl file, and I'm sure most of the other template guys who know their share of smarty would be, too.

YL