Wikipedia Wikticonary

Creating and modifying plugins.
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Wikipedia Wikticonary

Post by MidNiteRaver »

I downloaded the latest Trillian Free version Instant Messenger. They have a feature where Trillian automatically underlines words in the chat. Hovering over these words makes a little pop up note appear with a definition from Wikipedia.

A very nice feature I thought especially for technical sites. Is this feature available for Serendipity? And if so how do I go about installing it? I am no techie, html 101, and just signed up for some online 101 PHP classes.

For word that may not appear in the Wikipedia, can I go to Wikipedia/Wiktionary and submit words and the definition/meaning?

Thanks for the help. Exceptional software and support.

www.jamhosp.com/serendipity/index.php

MidNiteRaver
Kingston,
Jamaica
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

If someone decides to implement this (which could be cool), HTMLHttpRequest could be a cool way to go.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Post by MidNiteRaver »

I don't think it's the same sorry, similar in that they both offer the meaning, different in that all the words that appear in Trillian are already underlined - you don't have to highlight them and click, just mouse over. Very slick I think.

I downloaded your recommended plug-in and tried to get it to work...was in Germany (used Babel Fish) and it's my first d/load plug-in...no techie here.

I made the directory
/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_plugin_wikipedia_finder/serendipity_plugin_wikipedia_finder.php opened it in Plugins and saw a foreign language :).

Wasn't sure where to put the graphics. ENded up putting them in /serendipity/plugins/serendipity_plugin_wikipedia_finder/

Saw the plugin appear on blog with clickable X placeholder. Got link to work after clicking yes in Plugin setup to "Zielfenster mit Javascript öffnen
Ein neues Ausgabefenster kann per Javascript in Höhe und Breite beeinflusst werden. Soll davon Gebrauch gemacht werden? Wird hier "Ja" gewählt, wird die Einstellung Zielfenster überschrieben." which Babel Fish translates to "Goal windows with Javascript open a new expenditure window can by Javascript at height and width be affected. Of it is use to be made? One selects here "", the attitude goal window is overwritten."

HAd to leave it at that as I couldn't make sense of the rest. Tried guessing at edits for graphics (png and gif) to serendipity_plugin_wikipedia_finder.php using wordpad, but with no luck.

CAn some one please point out what I should do? Where should the graphics be placed and what should be edited and where? Baby steps if possible. :oops: :lol:

Thanks
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Post by MidNiteRaver »

I think I got it working. Please test by both highlighting word and not highlighting and tell me if what you see happens is what suppose to happen. Thanks

http://www.jamhosp.com/serendipity/index.php

I get a dialog pop up when i do not highlight a word using Firefox, but I get just athe large Wikipedia PNG graphic when I use Maxthon (IE Core). Both open window when word highlighted.
Last edited by MidNiteRaver on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Post by MidNiteRaver »

Do you have a plugin that works with the Wiki Dictionary? And Wiki image etc? Useful for scientific and technical blogs.

Post by Guest »

In Opera all I get is the Wiki logo in a window, whether I highlight a word or not. How can I resolve this....without messing up everything else. If it's a headfull then forget it , not that many ppl used Opera anyway, and every Opera user secretly has another browser using anyway :).
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Post by MidNiteRaver »

I have serendipity Weblog loaded on my site and it works great. Love the software and the super response from the core developers, very up beat and innovative.

Anyway I like to check to see if my pages load acceptably in several popular browsers, IE, FF, Maxthon (IE) and Opera.

Well the pages loaded acceptably in all including Opera, but one hitch. The Wikipedia plug in does not work in Opera. This plug in allows you to highlight a word on the page and then clicking on the wikipedia logo a page is loaded with the words meaning. (IE/Maxthon does something from Firefox if no word is highlighted. IE/Maxthon will load page with Wikipedia logo, Firefox opens small javascript window to type in word)

Does anyone know how to get this to work in Opera? Has anyone using Serendipity got this plug in to work in Opera?

If so please let me know.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

The wikipedia plugin relies on much JavAscript Magic, which Opera doesn't support (yet). So I'm sorry there is no solution to that...

Regards,
Garvin

Post by Guest »

Thanks Garvin.

I still feel that the format that Trillain offers where the words on the web page are underlined and when mousedover the definition appears from Wikipedia/Wiktionary is much more useful. Is this possible.

Even better I would prefer if I could make a list of words in administration which when typed/appear in the weblog they are the only ones that are highlighted (underlined or colour) and when mousedover a definition appears from Wikipedia/Wiktionary.

Is anything like this available at all now? Even something where I have words stored like mentioned above and I also store the definition which it draws up instead of going to a Wiki link?

I thing the above would go over well as a much more useful too......now if I just knew how to code PHP :cry:
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Post by MidNiteRaver »

Sorry wasn't logged in...the above is me :oops:
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Midniteraver!

The way of Trillian would work. But it would create a massive lookup to wikipedia for every word of your blog. This works easier in Trillian because it only needs to lookup few words, since instant messages are quite short mostly.

The "pre-typed" list of words would thus work much better, and would not be that hard to program.

I don't know of anything existing coming near this, and I currently can't code it for you, I'm working on a clients project (for real money ;). Sorry :(

Regards,
Garvin
MidNiteRaver
Regular

Post by MidNiteRaver »

Thanks for the response Garvin.

I wasn't actually thinking I was the only one that needed it.

Thanks again
Wesley B
Regular

Post by Wesley B »

If anyone figures this out, I'd definately be interested in it. I love the way it works in Trillian.

I'm still teaching myself basic html, so can't help a bit.

Is it possible to download a database from wikipedia? I could get along just fine hosting the data locally and giving up having real-time access to the latest definitions and entries.

Wesley B
Marinmo
Regular

Post by Marinmo »

Wesley B wrote:Is it possible to download a database from wikipedia? I could get along just fine hosting the data locally and giving up having real-time access to the latest definitions and entries.
No it's (practically) not. Sorry. You could manually enter those, or why not just use the abbr tag?

Example (from my own blog);

Code: Select all

As I'm living in Sweden, iTunes is not available to me. This sucks ofcourse, but then again, I never really cared for <abbr title="Digital Rights Management">DRM</abbr> low-bitrate music.
Is manually entering, but on mouseover the title pops up if the user is using a decent browser (not IE).
255 characters is not enough.