new s9y-site with heavy use of static pages

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
stm999999999
Regular

new s9y-site with heavy use of static pages

Post by stm999999999 »

OK, I had many questions, suggestions and little developments for s9y, especialy for the static pages.

And now I proudly present the result of all the work!

[s]http://joseph.test40038.test-account.com/[/s]

NEW URL: http://www.sankt-joseph-siemensstadt.de/ (public and no access restriction)

technicality:

It is based on the theme "Artistic" - and on the first view it should look like a normal, static homepage. But most of the static pages have a correspondent blog category with sereval effect:

* everey of these static pages has the taglines of the latest blog-entries
* the category-page has a link to the correspondent static-page

(this is one of the changes to the static page plugin)

for the static pages is a new breadcrumb navigation, even to the image gallery, so I hope every one gets a picture of a well-structured static homepage.

the image gallery uses the lightbox plugin

about the content for all non german speaker:

it is the site of my catholic parish in Berlin, about the strucure, the people and the groups.

In the moment it is on a test account and perhaps there will be some changes until the official release, but I think the structure is fix - so the site is not public in the moment, access is still restricted: joseph/joseph

You would give me much pleasure, if you give a comment to my work, to the layout, the structure, the improvements of the static page plugin or (if you understand german) even to the content. And if you have a idea to improve something, tell it!

And at this place: Thanks for all the given answers, the fast implementation of wished features and for s9y at all! :D :D :D
Last edited by stm999999999 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ciao, Stephan
SirRobert
Regular

Post by SirRobert »

Hi Stephan,

great work! I'm impressed by the smooth integration of static pages with news posts. This is good news, because I'm also working on a site with heavy use of static pages.

The theme is very clean and the used graphical elements fit very good to the layout.

Maybe you can make the illustration of the church on the upper right be a links to the home-site.

And another liiittle note: When searching for example for "Pfarrteam", the searchresult first looked to me as if he did not find any results. I did not see the result until I gave it another try. Maybe you can add the searchresult of newsarticles and staticpages to one searchresult or only display the positive searchresults.

Keep up the good work!

Robert

P.S.: Did you work with StaticPages 3.5 Alpha4 or the stable version? I like the Alpha4 navigation, but it still needs some finetuning.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

That URL is password protected?!

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

@Stephan: This is really, really impressive! The theme is very appealing, but most of all it's the use of static pages that makes the site exemplary - from an S9Y-point of view :wink:

@Garvin: It is, just scan the op for a login/pass combination. Had the same problem at first :lol:
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

SirRobert wrote: The theme is very clean and the used graphical elements fit very good to the layout.
hm, my pastor says that the colored image of the church does not match to the rest of the side. What did you mean?
Maybe you can make the illustration of the church on the upper right be a links to the home-site.
I would be nice to do so, but I don't know how. The picture is part of the css:

Code: Select all

<div id="aboutbox_container"></div>

#aboutbox_container {
	background: #fff url({TEMPLATE_PATH}img/right_header-kirche4.png) top left no-repeat;
	border: 0;
	text-align: left;
	width: 190px;
	margin: 0;
	padding: 160px 0 0 0;
	float: right;
	border: 2px solid #dcdcdc;
	margin-left: 1em; }

hm, but it should be possible, if I take the picture into the html ... ok, done :-)

And another liiittle note: When searching for example for "Pfarrteam", the searchresult first looked to me as if he did not find any results. I did not see the result until I gave it another try.
Du you speak german? I hope, that the text is a hint to the readers:

Bei der Suche nach Pfarrteam konnte kein Eintrag in den Artikeln gefunden werden:
in english:

for the search to Pfarrteam there is no entry in the articles.
I hoped, the "in the articles" would make it clear. Would it be a solution to change the order?

Bei der Suche nach Pfarrteam in den Artikeln konnte kein Eintrag gefunden werden:
in english:

for the search to Pfarrteam in the articles there is no entry.
:?:
Maybe you can add the searchresult of newsarticles and staticpages to one searchresult or only display the positive searchresults.
I thought, that is a general problem with the interaction of search results of more then one sources. I am not deep enough in this code :cry:

P.S.: Did you work with StaticPages 3.5 Alpha4 or the stable version? I like the Alpha4 navigation, but it still needs some finetuning.
the stable version at spartacus (3.38 IIRC) has none of the new features for staticpage and categories. There are other changes done.

my plugin list says "3.36.3" so I think it is based on the alpha3 or 2 on http://s9y-cms.fadoe.de/plugins/serendi ... staticpage and added my changes for my own.

As I remember first I had the wish for a coresponding category what Falk did to the alpa. But then I had severeal more wishes which I implemented. I post everything to http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... t=15#38136 and http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... ght=#41711 but I do not know how much is in the latest alpha/beta until now.

perhaps in the alpha4 all my code could be inserted, but I do not know exactly. There are some pieces of code I gave Falk after the a4-release, as iI remember.
Ciao, Stephan
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi
Having taken a look - and I'm impressed with the site - I wonder why have you used static pages instead of normal entries? I only ask because I don't really understand the difference :? I've just done a clients site 'Philips Art Gallery' and made all his pages normal entries and I'm wondering should I have used static pages.

cheers

Dave
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Dave, in practical terms there is little difference between a static page or entry. Either method is workable and can be used to create these sorts of sites. If you're comfortable with your method I wouldn't rush to change, and the same goes for stm999999999 if he wonders the same thing.

Any diffferences between entries and static pages are easily overcome by a competent template designer, however if future changes require the addition of comments, then Dave's approach would seem better. On the other hand, the static pages plugin allows customised .tpl files meaning the website owner can add or remove parts of the smarty, save to a new template file, and then instruct the static pages plugin to create a new type (overview, article, or something new) based on that new .tpl file.
SirRobert
Regular

Post by SirRobert »

stm999999999 wrote: hm, my pastor says that the colored image of the church does not match to the rest of the side.
Hmm that's a question of taste... I think it's good!
stm999999999 wrote: Du you speak german? I hope, that the text is a hint to the readers:

Bei der Suche nach Pfarrteam konnte kein Eintrag in den Artikeln gefunden werden:
Yes I do :) I think the text is ok, but maybe it was the red color of the negative searchresult border that made me think there's no result. Maybe it would be better to make the border of the positive results green and the one of the negative results gray.
stm999999999 wrote: I thought, that is a general problem with the interaction of search results of more then one sources. I am not deep enough in this code :cry:
Hmm.. I don't know either how to bring them together...
stm999999999 wrote: As I remember first I had the wish for a coresponding category what Falk did to the alpa. But then I had severeal more wishes which I implemented. I post everything to http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... t=15#38136 and http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... ght=#41711 but I do not know how much is in the latest alpha/beta until now.

Thanks for the information. I was just interested how things are developing with the staticpages. I would stay on the version you are running right now. I think the latest Alpha4 needs just a few fixes until we can use it. But it will rock 8)

@d_cee: StaticPages is in my eyes especially interesting if you are running some kind of magazine (like stm999999999 does) that combines news-postings and articles or featured artices. The StaticPages allow you to simply generate hierachical tree-structures without touching the news-system. But in your case, I wouldn't change the system now, indeed.

Best Regards,

Robert
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Thanks Carl & Robert for the info and clarification - maybe it'll help others too (or maybe I'm the only one who couldn't think why I might use Static Pages) :)

cheers
Dave
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

SirRobert wrote: Yes I do :) I think the text is ok, but maybe it was the red color of the negative searchresult border that made me think there's no result. Maybe it would be better to make the border of the positive results green and the one of the negative results gray.
try it again! :D
Ciao, Stephan
SirRobert
Regular

Post by SirRobert »

Is niiice! :D
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

stm999999999 wrote:
SirRobert wrote: The theme is very clean and the used graphical elements fit very good to the layout.
hm, my pastor says that the colored image of the church does not match to the rest of the side.
I agree. I would probably choose softer, brighter, pastel colors. Also, in my humble opinion the 80x15 buttons at the bottom are awful. Those should match the color scheme of the site.

YL
Col. Kurtz
Regular

Post by Col. Kurtz »

how did you make the boxes on the left side with the "Aktuelle Termine" and "Pfarrei"? That is a template modification isnt it?
Marc
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Stephan

I'm really impressed with the work you and Matt have done on the image gallery. One small problem however is that, along with the image thumbs, the rest of the directory contents is also displayed as a download (see below).

YellowLed wrote:Also, in my humble opinion the 80x15 buttons at the bottom are awful. Those should match the color scheme of the site.
I agree with Yellowled the buttons look unsuited to the site - as does the original Artistic header image that's only on your home page. Overall though you've built a site that I'm sure will be the envy of many another parish - and made some excellent improvements to Serendipity along the way.

well done

Dave
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

Col. Kurtz wrote:how did you make the boxes on the left side with the "Aktuelle Termine" and "Pfarrei"? That is a template modification isnt it?
I think I will publish my changes in the near future - first it must be perfect ;-)
Ciao, Stephan