entry title as image in custom fonts - possible?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

For a good collection of free fonts to include it would be hard to do better than Vitaly Friedman's 25 best free fonts

Dave
snafu
Regular

Post by snafu »

YellowLed wrote: Some people are just not that into editing their own templates. Those - let's call them 'non-expert' - users would probably like a nice little plugin to use within the admin frontend.
ooops, you're right.

btw: what about adding an display: none h4 tag with the same title text again only for the blind and the search engines?
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

The fonts thatI would most like to see included in a plugin of this sort are

from d_cee's link
New Media
Lacuna
ATF Antique
Baskerville Old Face

from mattsches link
Gara
District Thin
Vera Sans Mono

I think some of the fonts I've selected are very similar, so maybe somebody with an eye for fonts selection could cull my list, after all we wouln't want the plugin to include 10 fonts that are all the same.

Carl
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've just put together a first working draft of a sIFR plugin (tentativel named serendipity_event_layout_sifr) using the font from my blog. Still needs some fine-tuning and some more options, but is working nonetheless :D

Next step is creating some flash files according to the sIFR docs ... and then we are ready to roll ...

Regards
- Mattsches
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

you're kidding, that quickly!

When can we download a test version?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

:lol:

Yeah, really! Aren't you done yet?

Instead of sifr, can we call it image_replacement? That way if someone wants to implement another method, we can just merge it into your plugin.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

mattsches wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that I've just put together a first working draft of a sIFR plugin (tentativel named serendipity_event_layout_sifr) using the font from my blog. Still needs some fine-tuning and some more options, but is working nonetheless :D
Fantastic! look forward to giving it a try. I'd have suggested serendipity_event_sifr :-)

Dave
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

Ok, I settled for serendipity_event_image_replacement. You can download it here. Please give it a try and report bugs if you find any :wink: I've included four fonts so far, but I can quite easily add more.

Regards
- Mattsches
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

That works. I was expecting major headaches in the test version but it installed and worked perfectly. Very good job.

May I make two suggestions;

1. The way the color properties are named. Your 'textcolor' is also the regular link and visited link, whereas your 'linkcolor' is actually the link on hover only. This seemed confusing, and I wonder if you could add more description so less experienced users are able to use your plugin without coming to these forums and asking those sorts of questions.

2. Are you able to add a checkbox to each of the title, sub-title, and entry title so that users can select or unselect each of these, and how easy would it be to add sidebar titles?

EDIT: I've just noticed that the sidebar titles are changed, but one f the templates I tested (actually the serendipity template didn't like it, I'll need to study my stylesheet to see where I went wrong.

I am really looking forward to seeing more pimped up user sites because of this plugin, this takes us a step beyond many of the other blog engines out there, and is exactly the sort of plugin we need.

Thanks mattsches for a great plugin,

Carl
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

Carl, thanks for testing the plugin and for your suggestions. Now that I know it works (I expected more trouble, too), I can start to refurbish it a bit more.

As for the names of the properties: sIFR does take even more options like padding-top and -left, maybe we should make those available too (and rename them accordingly, of course).

I've got one more question for you template guys: Right now, you can replace h1, h2, and h4. Would it make sense to add more tags (what about h3?), or even classes? For example, you could then put <span class="initial"></span> around the first letter of a paragraph ...
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi mattsches

well done getting a working plugin sorted so quickly :-)

But...
... I'm having some issues with both size and position in both Firefox and Safari (mac). In general the homelink is rendering much bigger than it does normally - and sidebar titles are disappearing altogether sometimes. The margin/padding that I've set in the CSS seems to be being ignored too (as are other style elements) I thought the issues might be just with my themes but with ceejay's chocolate fudge template I have no headlinks, entry titles or sidebar titles at all. I realise that I can change the the plugin CSS but a 'user' might not want to (or be able to) do this. In addition, any text that I've truncated (to limit the length of an entry title for example) is shown full length.

I've posted some screenshots for you to take a look at. All the original themes are on my themes site.

cheers

Dave
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

d_cee, these are exactly the problems I was having when I first experimented with this technique. As mentioned, I will make the padding configurable. As for the font size: it's the most difficult part of using sIFR. I could make the so-called "decoy styles" in sIFR-screen.css configurable, too. Things will get better with sIFR v3, I guess, but until then we can only settle for some reasonable default values.

- Mattsches
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

I think making the replaced classes configurable, as you suggested, is an outstanding idea. Will the method work if we enter an actual CSS selector, or is it only compatible with tags and classes? (For instance, could it be set up to work on "#header .headlink" and "#left .serendipitySidebarItem li"?)

Exemplary work, mattsches!
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

Hi Rob A, this sounds great. There seem to be people around with an interest in this now.

Let's try to merge both our codes into one plugin. Please PM me, and/or take a look at my code for a general idea of what it does. It's not the latest version, but I can mail it to you if you like.

Or you send me your code, and I'll give it a try? Whichever you like better (I wonder if there's an online collaboration platform for coding, something like writeboard for PHP?).

Regards
- Mattsches
abdussamad
Regular

Post by abdussamad »

mattsches wrote: Or you send me your code, and I'll give it a try? Whichever you like better (I wonder if there's an online collaboration platform for coding, something like writeboard for PHP?).

Regards
- Mattsches
Well not exactly like writeboard but there are a lot of pastebin sites that are popular with IRCers. pastebin.com and http://www.rafb.net/paste/ are two examples.