linklist

Creating and modifying plugins.
noob

linklist

Post by noob »

I'm searching for a plug-in for serendipity which allows me to add some links on the right (or left :)) frame of the site. It wouldt be very nice if it could show the links in categories, but this isn't necessary, i wouldt take a plug-in without categories, too :)

I hope you understand my bad english, and i hope for good answers :)

thanks very much,
katharina
oxygenws
Regular

Post by oxygenws »

i developing one....
it is in beta version ;)

you can see the code and future pictures in the following link....
http://oxygenws.com/s9y/
(pictures are in Persian Language, don't be afraid :D)

you can directly open this file for first beta version of this ext.
http://oxygenws.com/s9y/serendipity_plugin_links.phps

you can use this ext. too
http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=937
but hard too install and manage!
I hope you understand my bad english, and i hope for good answers
me too :D

regards, omid

Post by Guest »

Hey, this looks good.
what do you think, when you are ready?! :D

the other topic, you've pasted: i've seen it, but I'm not sure if it is what i'm looking for - it sounds very comlicated for me (i have no idea about things like php and mysql, i need simple things *gg).

i wouldt have an eye on your webpage, but i understand you language so bad, that it wouldn't have any sense... (i see, this sentence sounds horrible, i hope you understand it anyway ;))

i suppose, you will write about you plug-in in this forum? or wouldt you perhaps send me an email? you will find my adress on http://www.the-barett.de (cause i don't want to write my emailadress in an official forum ;))

very much thanks and so on!!!
katharina
davecjr
Regular

Post by davecjr »

I use the del.icio.us plugin which seems to do what you are looking for.

http://www.s9y.info/forums/viewtopic.ph ... el+icio+us
oxygenws
Regular

Post by oxygenws »

i hope i can finish the main version in two weeks :)
you can use the first/beta version now :)

ill publish that in the extra plugins in CVS or if they wants, publish in the main version :)
i wouldt have an eye on your webpage, but i understand you language so bad, that it wouldn't have any sense... (i see, this sentence sounds horrible, i hope you understand it anyway Wink)
oops, pardon me?!! :D
i suppose, you will write about you plug-in in this forum?
what would you like to know?? im waiting for first version, then i will publish it. but if you want any further assistance or any suggestion, tell me :)

i think it would be nice to become a s9y forum member ;)

regards, omid
noob

Post by noob »

I'm too lazy to register :D

Okay, thanks to davecrj for your link, I will try it tomorrow, and then I will try your beta, oxygenws :)
do nothing without a plan *gg

thank you all!

Post by Guest »

oxygenws,
you can use this ext. too
http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=937
but hard too install and manage!
Do you have any specific criticism of http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/p ... _linklist/ regarding the install/management? Have you looked at it?

The configuration interface is significantly simpler then the screen shots you have posted, and the link management itself seems much more intuitive...

I will freely admit I have not tried yours since this is the first I have seen it..

The plugin I added today was designed to be a nice backend system to manage links, and would allow custom sidebars to be built without significant difficulty... For instance, I believe I could convert your plugin with less then an hour of work...

If you have any ideas I could use to improve it, please let me know...

Matt
[/quote]
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

The previous post was mine... sorry thought I was logged in...

The process to install the http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/p ... _linklist/ is simple...

You can download it (such as from here: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... hp?rev=1.1), place it in a folder named serendipity_event_linklist in your plugins directory, and install it as normal...

Then install the serendipity_plugin_eventwrapper plugin, which is part of the standard CVS copy of 0.8, using the normal way (click on "Click here to install a new sidebar plugin").. Choose linklist from the dropdown...

You are done... it is now added to your webpage...
To manage all your links (add/delete/edit) you can click on the Manage Links menu option under Entries on the admin menu....

It takes care of all the SQL and PHP itself...
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Oh, something else, katharina,

The traditional way (and probably the most efficient for small/easily managed lists) is to use the html nugget plugin and list your urls out in basic html...
oxygenws
Regular

Post by oxygenws »

:o nice reply :)
Have you looked at it?
yes, i installed it, and used it.
the installing process (use wrapper) is not good for me!
The configuration interface is significantly simpler then the screen shots you have posted, and the link management itself seems much more intuitive...
sure :)
but....
1- i want users can customize it easily.
2- i want users can add some links in only ONE simple page.
3- i want them can categorize their links (not with weblog categories)
The plugin I added today was designed to be a nice backend system to manage links
your backend is nice :)
I believe I could convert your plugin with less then an hour of work...
i would be happy to see your plugin (like my pictures)
If you have any ideas I could use to improve it, please let me know...
you too :>

Best Regards for you Matt,
Omid
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Thanks for installing it and trying it out...
the installing process (use wrapper) is not good for me!
As I'm sure you are aware, that's the only way to get an event to output to a sidebar... One of my few complaints about the plugin system...

Ultimately, I was aiming for a nice usable system to manage links...
Users can add links on one simple page, and don't have to continually configure the plugin to add links..

And the management should be easy, since it mimics the plugin management system (if you can add a plugin, you can add a link)...

Custom categories are something I have been playing with, but it is not stable right now...
i would be happy to see your plugin (like my pictures)
If you played with the plugin at all you probably noticed that the "Categorical with javascript" view is close to your plugin already... only without images, custom categories, or the close/open buttons..

The main idea was to offer a link management system that is easy to use for someone without any real knowledge of the web side of things, and that that could be used straight out of the box... the displays I added to the plugin are the most simple, basic displays I have seen and should work for most people keeping blogs...

I figured rounding it out with an HTML_tree based plugin would offer a more robust solution (and I believe would be very close to the sidebar results of yours).

Ultimately this comes down to design differences, and perspective...

While your beta plugin is really straight forward I think your final result will be more complicated..
Hence, I don't believe that either plugin has cornered the market on installability...
acidsmile

ooops

Post by acidsmile »

I installed the plugin with custom categories selected and once i clicked on save my whole blog dissapeared. now no matter what i do all i get is a page with the name LINKS on top.

help help help please :<

thx in advance

ps: to see what i mean www.essap.org/system/
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

Go to phpMyAdmin and delete the offending plugin in the table called serendipity_plugins.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

acidsmile,
It looks like you were at least able to remove the plugin, since your webpage seems to be working...

I cannot recreate this error, so I need you to tell me some more about your installation/setup...

Did you download the plugin from CVS, or from my webpage?

What version of Serendipity are you running? (The plugin will only function for the more recent 0.8 development snapshots (the ones from January should be alright). But installing on the wrong version does not crash my installs.)

What type of SQL server are you running with?

What order style did you choose?

You mentioned you had custom categories selected.. did it work without custom categories? (Custom categories should be stable in the recent releases I have made.. I don't generally put things into CVS unless I have them working in one environment.)

Can you get a screen shot of what happens when the plugin is installed?

I won't have a lot of time today, but I will try to get this sorted out as soon as I can..

Matt
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

It looks like the version I had on my website was not the same as the CVS version... But I could not get that version to recreate the error you described...

It would help me out a lot if you would download the version from CVS, or from my site now (I promise it is the right one this time) and see if it still causes the error.

Matt