New theme - 'Square'

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
d_cee
Regular

New theme - 'Square'

Post by d_cee »

I've just released a new theme, 'Square' for Serendipity - inspired by the Design Observer - one of the many excellent design blogs out there in the ether.

Square is a 2 column, fixed width design with 2 sidebars on the right hand side. I've used the 'blockquote' element as a magazine style 'pullquote' as I feel this design lends itself to well to a magazine style blog or website. The menus are fully configurable in the admin interface for Serendipity 1.1 users and in the index.tpl for users of Serendipity v1.0 or less.

You can take a look - and download the theme if you like it, here on my themes site.

cheers

Dave Cummins
Hippo
Regular

Post by Hippo »

hello dave,
that's a fantastic theme, looks great!!!!

Regards,
Hippo
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

Great theme, Dave

looks like we're slowly collecting a bunch of wonderful themes here ... at last :wink:
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

Kick ass, Dave! :D
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Way to go, Dave. What I really like about it: It shows that you can do a great template without using "too many" colors.

Just a little suggestion: You might want to dig up something to "simulate" equal heights for the sidebars.
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Thanks guys and azel
glad you like it :-)
YellowLed wrote:Just a little suggestion: You might want to dig up something to "simulate" equal heights for the sidebars.
Sounds like a good idea, I'll do that.

Dave
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

I've made a few small amendments to this theme in order to extend the sidebars to the full length of the page as Yellowled suggested. You can see the updated version on my themes site by selecting 'square' in the template chooser.

I've also updated the zipfile which you can download from here.

Dave
Nnnnsic

Post by Nnnnsic »

How hard would it be to implement a random header image script into this?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Already done, actually. Download the "Kubrick Header" event plugin. Since this uses "#header" for its header div (shame on you, Carl! You should know better! :wink:), configure the plugin for "Kubrick" style. Then point it at your directory of images -- check for size -- and you've got random header images.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

point taken, I'll take another look at my templates if this is important to people... sigh, not promising a quick turnaround though...
Nnnnsic

Post by Nnnnsic »

judebert wrote:...then point it at your directory of images -- check for size -- and you've got random header images.
I've pointed it at the directory but I'm still only getting the square image file from the template directory. Do I need to change anything within the template's css?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Nope, it should modify the CSS for the #header div to a new background image.

Try pointing it to a single image, and reloading the page to make sure the CSS isn't cached.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Xanthouos
Regular

Re: New theme - 'Square'

Post by Xanthouos »

I see this is a old thread, but I would like to try the random image...also with the square template. I'm having the same problem. Any updates on this?

Many thanks,
David
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Did you:

Install the plugin for random header/banner images and configure it for Kubrick? Or perhaps Dave would be willing to update the template by incorporating the code from Bulletproof into Square....
=Don=
Xanthouos
Regular

Post by Xanthouos »

Yup, as was mentioned above. didn't work...
Don Chambers wrote:Did you:

Install the plugin for random header/banner images and configure it for Kubrick? Or perhaps Dave would be willing to update the template by incorporating the code from Bulletproof into Square....
If you can't be a missionary, you can support a missionary.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.GetMepis.com