Some problems with serendipity. (English / German)

Having trouble installing serendipity?
flashbeem
Regular

Some problems with serendipity. (English / German)

Post by flashbeem »

Hi there,

~edit~
UPDATED Question's list: (25.09.2006):
http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39164#39164
~edit~

because I'm totally new to serendipity I have to say: Thanks to all developers and contributor's of this system. It's an excellent website (webblog) system!

Anyway, I have some questions concerning the handling with serendipity:

1. I want to link my guestbook with serendipity, I installed this guestbook-plugin but now I have to create a link on the mainpage, how to handle this?
- Is it ../../serendipity[subpage]=guest ? Or something else? How to create own pages and link them in serendipity / php ?

2. How to insert a user counter on the sidebar? Where to insert the html code?

Maybe someone can help me finding an answer for my questions? Would be really great :)

You can answer in english or german ;)

Thanks a lot !!!!!!

Cheers,
Flashbeem
Last edited by flashbeem on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I'll start with the counter script since this is the easiest to explain. In configure plugins, add an html nugget to your sidebar plugins, paste the code for your counter into that, then before you save your settings, check No in the radio list reads 'Perform Markup Transformations'.

Adding a link in your homepage to your guestbook isn't difficult, it all depends on where you're going to put it. Does the template you're using have a navbar? If so, you probably just need to edit the index.tpl file in the template folder and change the html code.

If you don't have one of these templates, then another option is to install the static pages plugin and use its sidebar menu to link to your guestbook.
flashbeem
Regular

Post by flashbeem »

Yippe !! Thanks a lot Carl :)

But now there are some more questions *g*

1. Yes, I can modifiy the index.tpl and insert the link but where should the link point to? For example to link the Home site: ../../index.php ? And now, how should the other links look like and where to insert my html pages? The importanst entry is the guestbook, in the readme they write that I have to link: serendipity[subpage]=guest ??

2. Works now perfectly :-) Is there a chance to modify the design of this html nugget by hand?

3. I've added the timezones plugin but can't find any information how to enable it.... I'm trying to add the german and australian timezones =)

Thanks again ;)

Cheers,
Flashbeem
flashbeem
Regular

Post by flashbeem »

Hi there!

Another problem appeared by now, the header in the sidebar for "links", "counter" and "verwaltung des blogs" look now different like the other ones in the sidebar, this appeared as I added the html nugget for the counter.

Maybe someone can have a look? This would be really great :)

http://www.verena-australien.de

Thanks !!! :)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

flashbeem wrote:1. Yes, I can modifiy the index.tpl and insert the link but where should the link point to? For example to link the Home site: ../../index.php ? And now, how should the other links look like and where to insert my html pages? The importanst entry is the guestbook, in the readme they write that I have to link: serendipity[subpage]=guest ??
The easiest way is probably to 'hard link' those, i.e. for the home site: http://your.site/index.php. Just open the page you want to link to in the browser and use that URL :)

Now if the page you want to link to is a 'subpage' of s9y, you can use some Smarty variables. For example, if you want to link to the login page, you can use {$serendipityBaseURL}{$serendipityRewritePrefix}admin/ (might work without the rewrite prefix, but I just recently experienced that it can't hurt to have it ...)
flashbeem wrote:3. I've added the timezones plugin but can't find any information how to enable it.... I'm trying to add the german and australian timezones
Now that's something Carl should know ... :)
flashbeem
Regular

Post by flashbeem »

Hi YellowLed,

thanks for your help.
Ah, I have to do it with the index page. So the correct link for the guestbook should be now "../../index.php?serendipity=guest". But when I click on the webpage on guestbook, it run's in an error:

http://www.verena-australien.de/index.p ... pity=guest

Any idea's? :)

Thanks !!!
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

The correct URL is http://www.verena-australien.de/index.p ... age]=guest -- that brings up a guestbook in a nice red mountain template.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
flashbeem
Regular

Post by flashbeem »

Hi together,

thanks judebert, that works perfectly ;)

I've updated now the question's list :)

1. Another problem appeared by now, the header in the sidebar for "links", "counter" and "verwaltung des blogs" look now different like the other ones in the sidebar, this appeared as I added the html nugget for the counter.

2. I've added the timezones plugin but can't find any information how to enable it.... I'm trying to add the german and australian timezones =)

3. How to link my custom html files to this layout? For example please see "About me".

BLOG URL: http://www.verena-australien.de

Maybe someone can help me out finding some answers to my questions? Please :)

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Cheers,
Flashbeem
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Happy to help.

1) Those look different because the Timezone plugin is outputting an extra div endtag. Get that out of there, and you're golden. You can remove the plugin, modify its code, or move it to the bottom of the plugin list.

2) I've never worked with that. I installed it on my blog temporarily, and it only produces %EDT; that's annoying. So I took a look at the code; it's using the PHP date() method for the formatting, and the default "%T" means a % sign followed by the timezone. Duh.

I switched it to "H:i M d" for each format, and it improved. It still shows the same time for each, though. Searching around Google shows that nobody knows how to use the PEAR date functions that called (convertTZbyID), so if you just set the timeshift attribute, it should work. It worked for me, anway. Make sure you put the shift in seconds.

3) The about page link works for me; it's obviously a test page, but you could put any HTML you wanted in there.

If you want it to fit into your Serendipity blog, you can either install the static-pages plugin and add your HTML there, then link it from a sidebar nugget or the menu; or you can use the "Wrap URL" plugin, which adds the content in an iframe; or you can just design the HTML to look like Serendipity.
Judebert
---
flashbeem
Regular

Post by flashbeem »

YEAH, YEAH and... again: YEAH :)

judebert, I can kiss you for your great support ;) no really, you helped me out finding answers to my questions very good.

Thanks again.

Okay but there is just ONE problem left... because all other things are working now!

The last problem is:

I can't view thumbnails of my pictures. If I add (upload) some photos in the media library the following error comes up:

Code: Select all

Datei heck.jpg erfolgreich als /home/www/web690/html/uploads/heck.jpg hochgeladen

Warning: imagejpeg(): Unable to access /home/www/web690/html/uploads/heck.serendipityThumb.jpg in /home/www/web690/html/include/functions_images.inc.php on line 1011

Warning: imagejpeg(): Invalid filename '/home/www/web690/html/uploads/heck.serendipityThumb.jpg' in /home/www/web690/html/include/functions_images.inc.php on line 1011
Vorschau erstellt.
Fertig.

But if I click on the photos on the page they show up.... someone has a solution for this problem?

Thanks a lot :)

Cheers,
Flashbeem
flashbeem
Regular

Post by flashbeem »

Hi there,

I've read this now: http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5138

And it worked for me very well!

So all things/problems are solved by now.

Thanks to all helper's :)

Cheers,
Flashbeem
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

flashbeem wrote:judebert, I can kiss you for your great support ;) no really, you helped me out finding answers to my questions very good.
Sorry, I'm a married man. Then again, a kiss on the cheek wouldn't hurt anything. :wink:
Judebert
---