Dreamhost Security Problem

Having trouble installing serendipity?
rbrugman
Regular

Dreamhost Security Problem

Post by rbrugman »

Hello Fellow S9ers,
I am having trouble getting my blog working on my Dreamhost account. I got it for free, so I need to get it working here. I installed S9Y before, but I'm getting errors, regarding open_basedir restrictions. Here is what Dreamhost said:
open_basedir Restrictions in effect, file is in wrong directory

Then you've written a script that doesn't quite conform to our security standards.

We implement strict security for PHP scripts run by Apache, because otherwise, none of our users would be able to sufficiently secure sensitive information (like Database passwords)!

Because PHP normally runs as part of Apache, it runs as Apache's user and group. This differs from CGI scripts, which, because they run as a separate process outside Apache, run as the owner's user and group.

To protect your PHP scripts, we've disallowed all PHP functions that would let one user possibly open another user's script (and see sensitive stuff like passwords).
Does anyone know a way to get it working? If not, I may have to switch blog programs, but I don't want to because S9Y works SO well!

Thanks,
Robert
rbrugman
Regular

Post by rbrugman »

After fighting with Dreamhost, and trying to get S9Y running in safe mode, I ended up having to install MovableType. I really didn't want to, but I just needed a blog. If someone knows how to get S9Y working in safe mode, please let me know, but I guess I have to bid farewell to my beloved serendipity.

Robert