Comments from not-so-nerd user

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
theporro

Comments from not-so-nerd user

Post by theporro »

Hello all,

I have been using Serendipity bit more than 10 months now. For the most part I am very happy user - mainly because my husband has kept me updated and I have not had to instal anything. As long as the blog is installed I am able to manage it all by myself - so I must compliment the developement team from "housewife user" viewpoint. The usability and the commands are easy enough to learn even without any true knowledge on coding. I am not much of a nerd, but I was able to tweak one of the css tables to have some kind of personal outlook. I do like this software way more than others - I have tried other blogging softwares/services but I do thing serendipity works best for my needs.

After this long use I only have three things I would change in Serendipity;

1. Adding media (images): I would like to select many images at time to add to media directory

2. When logged in as admistrator I would like to have a "delete" option on the entries as well as the edit- option. Or have delete option on edit view.

3. Handling of tables: for some odd reason every time I try to add table there is odd amount of free space on the entry before the table. This might be my bad but I sort of am stuck with it.
( http://porro.claymountain.com/blog/inde ... astot.html )

Anyway, I want to thank everyone who is on the developement team of Serendipity. Your work has allowed me to do stuff that I would have not done without this program. This program has changed my way of "living, writing, publishing, communicating"

Pörrö
Rather nice Life
http://porro.claymountain.com/blog/
tomsommer
Core Developer

Re: Comments from not-so-nerd user

Post by tomsommer »

theporro wrote:Hello all,
1. Adding media (images): I would like to select many images at time to add to media directory

2. When logged in as admistrator I would like to have a "delete" option on the entries as well as the edit- option. Or have delete option on edit view.

3. Handling of tables: for some odd reason every time I try to add table there is odd amount of free space on the entry before the table. This might be my bad but I sort of am stuck with it.
1) The only way this can be done, is but creating multiple file boxes.. Possible indeed, but doesn't really make adding images that much faster.

2) There are edit and delete buttons in the entries overview ("Edit entries" in admin sidebar)

3) Disable nl2br plugin
Tom Sommer (Serendipity Core Developer)
http://blog.dreamcoder.dk
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

The problem with disabling the nl2br plugin is that it affects all existing entries, not only the current or future ones. I've considered turning it off since putting <p> for every paragraph isn't much of a hassle, and I gain better control of <ul> and <tables>. However, I just can't face the daunting task of editting all previous entries.
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

Thanks Evan. It worked perfectly.
Riken
Regular

Re: Comments from not-so-nerd user

Post by Riken »

theporro wrote:2. When logged in as admistrator I would like to have a "delete" option on the entries as well as the edit- option. Or have delete option on edit view.
I've found the same thing annoying, so I made a little plugin to fix it.

Code: Select all

<?php

switch ($serendipity['lang']) {
    default:
        @define('PLUGIN_EVENT_DELETELINK_NAME', 'Delete Link');
        @define('PLUGIN_EVENT_DELETELINK_BLAHBLAH', 'Adds a delete link to the footer of each entry.');
        @define('PLUGIN_EVENT_DELETELINK_TEXT', 'Delete entry');

break;
}

class serendipity_event_deletelink extends serendipity_event
{

function introspect(&$propbag)
    {
        global $serendipity;

$propbag->add('name',          PLUGIN_EVENT_DELETELINK_NAME);
        $propbag->add('description',   PLUGIN_EVENT_DELETELINK_BLAHBLAH);
        $propbag->add('event_hooks', array('entry_display' => true));
    }

function generate_content(&$title)
    {
        $title       = PLUGIN_EVENT_DELETELINK_NAME;
    }

function event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = null) {
        global $serendipity;

$hooks = &$bag->get('event_hooks');

if (isset($hooks[$event])) {
            switch($event) {
                case 'entry_display':
                    $elements = count($eventData);
                    for ($i = 0; $i < $elements; $i++) {
                        if ($_SESSION['serendipityAuthedUser'] === true && ($_SESSION['serendipityUserlevel'] >= USERLEVEL_CHIEF || $_SESSION['serendipityAuthorid'] == $eventData[$i]['authorid'])) {
                            $eventData[$i]['add_footer'] .= ' | ';
                            $eventData[$i]['add_footer'] .= '<a href="' . $serendipity['baseURL'] . 'serendipity_entries.php?serendipity[action]=admin&serendipity[adminModule]=entries&serendipity[adminAction]=delete&serendipity[id]=' . $eventData[$i]['id'] . '">';
                            $eventData[$i]['add_footer'] .= PLUGIN_EVENT_DELETELINK_TEXT;
                            $eventData[$i]['add_footer'] .= '</a>';
                        }
                    }
                    return true;
                    break;

default:
                    return false;
            }
        } else {
            return false;
        }
    }