Preview - Andreas06 Theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
carl_galloway
Regular

Preview - Andreas06 Theme

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi all,

I've uploaded Andreas06 to my themes site and would like some opinions. Use the theme switcher to select Andreas06 if it doesn't appear by default. I hope to release this theme in the next couple of days but I'm having some small issues with IE that need working out. I also still need to work on the preview function in the admin area and comment popups which don't work yet.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Carl
Last edited by carl_galloway on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Kurtz
Regular

Post by Col. Kurtz »

HI Carl,

Nice theme. Its not the kind of color scheme I would use, but thats just my subjective opinion.
But what I dislike about it, is that there seems to be something wrong with the text sizes. They all seem to be different (and also some are bold, others are not). And thats not looking good. It also breaks the structure because some things look way more important than others, without beeing it. EG the comments on the right are very small, the text in the left column is quite large. Also each category is bold, the category name in the menu is not. Is this supposed to be this way?

Seen with Firefox 1.5.0.1.
Marc
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi Marc,

No offense taken, that's the way the original template from OSWD is organised, and believe it or not, that template is proving exceptionally popular.

Your comments are very useful, and if other users agree with you then obviously I will have to change the fonts, after all a great looking theme that never gets used isn't worth adding to the community.

Cheers

Carl
Col. Kurtz
Regular

Post by Col. Kurtz »

Hi Carl,

Your themes site seems to be offline at the moment so I cannot take a second look...
I was not sure if the text sizes were supposed to be that way (as you´ve told me now) or not. Nothing personal. Maybe I´m just too oldfashioned about the structure of things. (This might be, because I use s9y almost all the time as an cms and not a personal blog.) If the theme is popular why not add it to the s9y repository? You once again did a good job then!

Marc
Marc
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I hate webservers - or permissions - or the administrators who run them - anyway its fixed, thanks for letting me know something had gone wrong.

One of the things I keep discovering about Serendipity users is that they seem generally to be different from other blog users. They have different needs, and want their templates to 'just work' without having to do much editing. So I decided after Marc's comments to change the font sizing and spacing of the right sidebar.

Thanks, Carl
Col. Kurtz
Regular

Post by Col. Kurtz »

you should still ask for a second opinion though!
Marc
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Carl

I rather like the theme but I thought I should let you know that the Google search box breaks out of the sidebar in Safari 2.

Dave
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Wow, that's an awesome theme! I'm really looking forward to having that in Spartacus...carl, would you like to announce your recent theme additions on blog.s9y.org? I think many people would love that!

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi all,

@Dave, thank you, I don't have access to safari so will try to fix that, might take me a day or so.

@Garvin, I put this theme together specifically for spartacus and the imminent version one. Glad you like. Not quite ready to release it, but as soon as I do I would love to announce it on blog.s9y.org.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Andreas06 is now avail to download
Ianardo
Regular

Post by Ianardo »

Both Andraes theme's have the same problem with the google box Carl.

It's a lovely theme - wish I'd used it for a job i've just finished! :cry:
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Ian, Dave,

Would one of you be able to post a screenshot of the Safari problem, I've checked the stylesheet and can'r see where any problems could come through but if I could see the problem you're talking about I could fix it - experience tells me there is always a fix. Thanks guys, I appreciate you helping me with these.

Carl
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Carl

Here's a screenshot for you.

http://themes.daves.me.uk/pictures/andreas06.jpg

hope it helps

Dave

I've just checked and it's the same with jazzcafe too (in both Safari and Firefox 1.5)

http://themes.daves.me.uk/pictures/jazzcafe.jpg
Ianardo
Regular

Post by Ianardo »

You beat me to it Dave! :-)
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

guys, thanks to both of you. I think the problem is the table and in particular the code that Google use

Code: Select all

<input type="text" name="q" size="31" maxlength="255" value="">
I can't help wondering if Safari is using the maxlength instead of the size to determine the width of the ad. I've added a

Code: Select all

#rightside td input {width:130px;}

Could one of you check and see if this fixes the problem?