Creating and modifying plugins.
Jabrwock
Regular

[submit] serendipity_plugin_frappr

Post by Jabrwock »

Type: Sidebar Plugins
Group: Frontend External Services
Name: Frappr (FReinds mAPPeR)
Desc: allows you to put a link/image to your frappr map, as well as the option to display frappr avatars that have recently been added to your group.
Language Support: EN lang file included

serendipity_plugin_frappr.tgz (2.3k)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: [submit] serendipity_plugin_frappr

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your plugin contributions! I added the frappr and webpasties plugin, as I think those are cool and common in the community.

Usually I'm a big defender of not using sidebar plugins for each and every JavaScript link, where a simple HTML nugget would do, but in the frappr/webpasties case I think there's a benefit in ease of configuration.

However I did not want to add the xfire plugin to the Spartacus repository, because that is IMHO a very simple code that does not really need a unique plugin.

The reason for restricting plugins in Spartacus is mostly memory usage. The XML files that are loaded onto serendipity installations require memory to parse, and it already hits the 8MB limit of many webhosts to parse that file; thus I try to keep adding new plugins a bit low and instead make them more powerful or general.

Maybe, if you are planning on making more plugins, it would be an idea to create a "Generic JavaScript plugin" with a dropdown list or large configuration section where the people could access different services. Then the adsense, frappr, flickr and other plugins could be combined ínto a single plugin and ease up the usage? Such a plugin could be made stackable so that it can be installed multiple time sfor different services...?

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Jabrwock
Regular

Post by Jabrwock »

I was thinking that, but I wasn't sure how to do dynamic plug-in menus, so that when you change the type (xfire, adsense, webpasties), the settings available change.

Is there a way? Or do I just have all the possible fields, and then it only uses the ones applicable to it's settings?

I was looking at some kind of "generic" plugin, because the site I'm upgrading has a bunch of things in the sidebar (amazon ads, clicksense ads, etc) and it would be easier for the site admin to keep them updated the less template editing he has to do.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

You can change the configuration page based on a config setting... You can look at the linklist plugin for an example...

All I do is put an "if" statement insdie the select block...

However, I try to only use this for options that change displays of plugin, not change the plugins behavior to something radically different... I have a feeling users tend to not see the changes, and it might really confuse them...
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Perhaps you are looking for the htmlnugget plugin... it allows you to enter html/javascript which it displays in the sidebar. You can then control placement without editing the template.
Jabrwock
Regular

Post by Jabrwock »

mgroeninger wrote:Perhaps you are looking for the htmlnugget plugin... it allows you to enter html/javascript which it displays in the sidebar. You can then control placement without editing the template.
That's perfect, thanks. :)
Jabrwock
Regular

Post by Jabrwock »

mgroeninger wrote:You can change the configuration page based on a config setting... You can look at the linklist plugin for an example...

All I do is put an "if" statement insdie the select block...

However, I try to only use this for options that change displays of plugin, not change the plugins behavior to something radically different... I have a feeling users tend to not see the changes, and it might really confuse them...
This only affects a minor section of the html address, but instead of requiring the user to set it themselves, it's easier to link it to the "type" selection they made earlier. Blame webpasties for setting the "type" in two seperate spots in the link, in two different fashions, but both map to each other...