Sorta edited Joshua theme - Your Opinion?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Blake_Ivey
Regular

Sorta edited Joshua theme - Your Opinion?

Post by Blake_Ivey »

This was my first time playing around with themes, and Im not completely done yet. I just wanted to hear some opinions about the main layout. There are still some font colors, etc, that need changing, but I just dont have time today.

Anyway, what do ya'll think so far? Feel free to leave a comment here, or even on my site :)

http://www.blakeivey.com
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Not bad. I think there's not enough contrast between the titles and the background, but it's a nice, smooth template.

Good job so far.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Blake, well done, that is an excellent first theme. Knowing your initial doubts about s9y theming I just want to say that they were unfounded, you've done a great job and should be proud of the result.

Perhaps you're ready to start adding some extra 'niceness' now, and I would suggest you start playing with the padding and margins within the styles. For example, your left sidebar on my screen seems to sit lower than your content and right sidebar.

In your stylesheet you have

Code: Select all

#serendipityRightSideBar {
    width: 200px;
    vertical-align: top;
	padding: 0px;
	padding-left: 10px;
	margin: 0px;
}

#serendipityLeftSideBar {
    width: 210px;
    padding: 10px;
}
Perhaps change it to;

Code: Select all

#serendipityRightSideBar {
    width: 200px;
    padding: 0px 0px 0px 10px;
    margin: 0px;
}

#serendipityLeftSideBar {
    width: 210px;
    padding: 0 10px 0px 0px;
    margin:0px;
}
See if that works for you.

Carl
Blake_Ivey
Regular

Post by Blake_Ivey »

Thanks Carl. I just noticed that before I read your post and was wondering when that happened. I didn't notice it earlier. I didnt do much to the theme, besides change some colors, decorations, padding, etc. I couldn't even get some parts of the background color to change in some sections lol. I'm going to start playing around a bit with a brand new style sheet and see what I can do using another theme as a guide.

Thanks everyone,
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Blake, the order in which the styles appear in your stylesheet will influence whether you can change backgrounds etc, its all to do with inheritance. So if you set a background color for an element, and then further down you set another background for a related or parent/child element, you may find that the first element then adopts the color of the second. It can be tricky, and you need to try and work out what related/parent/child element is affecting things and producing the error - does that make sense, I'm not a sysadmin or programmer so perhaps one of the s9y developers would have a better explanation.

Carl