Frowning about Smilies

Having trouble installing serendipity?
skoot

Frowning about Smilies

Post by skoot »

Just finished installing and configuring Serendipity for www.blogsball.com. Pretty smooth and I like it so far. Great install package!!

Two problems:

- HOW CAN I TURN OFF AUTO-CONVERT FOR SMILIES???
This is a sportsblog for my son and lines like:

"Jacksonville Jaguars (2-8) vs. New York Jets (3-7)"

turns 8) into the 'joe cool' smilie. Great if you're from Jacksonville, but it's a real pain. How can I kill this 'feature'? For now I'm making him put a space between the 8 and the ), but it looks goofy and its another thing to remember. phpBB lets me turn this off. Is there a config flag or setting somewhere to help here, either globally or per-posting?

- Preview posting doesn't work. Not a biggie but a pain since it clears the body text when it reloads.

Ok, three problems. Can't get ImageMagick to compile and make, but that ain't a s9y problem. I'll post another time for help solving that one.

Todd
jhermanns
Site Admin

Re: Frowning about Smilies

Post by jhermanns »

skoot wrote: - HOW CAN I TURN OFF AUTO-CONVERT FOR SMILIES???
You can't right now, but if you know how to use php a little, just patch the serendipity_emoticate() (or something like that) function to not auto-convert smileys.

I will add a configure option for this issue in the next release
skoot wrote: - Preview posting doesn't work. Not a biggie but a pain since it clears the body text when it reloads.
Uh, weird - what version of s9y are you running? Do you use a custom layout.php/template?
skoot wrote: Ok, three problems. Can't get ImageMagick to compile and make, but that ain't a s9y problem. I'll post another time for help solving that one.
If your PHP installation has GD support compiled in, you don't need image magick.

cheers,
jannis