Maybe OT: webalizer statistics and S9Y

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Thomas
Regular

Maybe OT: webalizer statistics and S9Y

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

today, while investigating my logfiles, I came across the problem that my own site seems to be the most referrring site.

For instance, I run my blog with sub.domain.com. So, most referrers are like http://sub.domain.com/archives/123-My_Article.html

This is because of rewriting the URL for resolving the artivle, fair enough. But how to get rid of them in the webalizer output?

Code: Select all

GroupReferrer domain.com My own Domain
HideReferrer domain.com
This forces webalizer to group and summarize everything for my own domain, but do not display it twice. If you leave out the HideReferrer the original pages AND the grouped summarization are displayed.

For my own blog system I configured following:

GroupURL        /templates/*            Templates
HideURL         /templates/*
GroupURL        /uploads/ICONS/*        Icons
HideURL         /uploads/ICONS/*
GroupReferrer   www.domain.net   Portal
HideReferrer    www.domain.net
GroupReferrer   blog.domain.net  Blog
HideReferrer    blog.domain.net
GroupReferrer   domain.net       Other stuff
HideReferrer    domain.net
The Group/HideURL does nothing else to summarize the entries for the templates and for the icons, for instance (like I have them). But this will still leave every single entry for every article. I also could get them out with:

GroupURL /archives/* Articles
HideURL /archives/*
Specially the referrer stuff is important to see who's really referring to your blog. It's better to have a second statistic and then cross summarize it to S9Y's own statistic or any other online counter. A good average of both of them will tell you approximatly the truth. :)

Regards, Thomas