Warnings and a line saying:Serendipity is not yet installed

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Petalo
Regular

Warnings and a line saying:Serendipity is not yet installed

Post by Petalo »

Hello, I am installing and I ran into several warnings after starting up de index.php for the first time and a line saying "Serendipity is not yet installed. Please install it now". This last line was linkt to an admin page.
I have a few questions:
1. what are the warnings below exactly referring to and what can I do about them?
2. Do I need to create the serendipity database first before I fill in the admin page or is there a script creating the database and the tables?

My configuration:
MySQL 4018
Apache 1.13
PHP 4

The warnings when starting index.php:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp\sess_ffab7fdf4ebcd8085fd2a21966075728, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\serendipity\index.php on line 9

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\serendipity\index.php:9) in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\serendipity\index.php on line 9

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\serendipity\index.php:9) in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\serendipity\index.php on line 9
Serendipity is not yet installed. Please install it now.
Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp\sess_ffab7fdf4ebcd8085fd2a21966075728, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Help is appreciated. I feel the solution is near 8)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Warnings and a line saying:Serendipity is not yet instal

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Petalo!
2. Do I need to create the serendipity database first before I fill in the admin page or is there a script creating the database and the tables?
You need to create a mysql user+password and an empty database. The tables will be created automatically.
Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp\sess_ffab7fdf4ebcd8085fd2a21966075728, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\serendipity\index.php on line 9
It looks like you did not edit your php.ini file and set a right windows path variable for the tmp_dir/session.save_path setting. As you can see, PHP tries to write to \tmp/sess - but that is an invalid path. Use something like c:/tmp/.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Petalo
Regular

Great tips, I needed that

Post by Petalo »

Hi Garvin,

Thanks for the tips. I did everything you said. The php.ini in my windows directory really needed an update with those settings.
After editing and restarting Apache and starting index.php, again I got some warnings (about include_path settings), but I managed to get rid of them in the same way you suggested. Now it seems to be working like a charm: My first very own personal Blog showed up my display :D
So I nosed around in your own Blog-site. Great site you have there, but man.....that picture of you...the crow impersonation...man..far out :shock:
Thx again
aoxenreider
Regular

Post by aoxenreider »

Hello (Garvin),

I've installed Serendipity 0.6, and have resolved one issue already, but now I continually get the "Serendipity is not yet installed. Please install it now." Line. I go through the setup, and save it, but I continually return to the same page and nothing new has happend. What am I doing wrong?

Windows 2000
Apache 2.0
MySQL with serendipity user and database created.
PHP 5 (looks to work fine)

Thank you.

Aaron