Poll or Vote plugin

Creating and modifying plugins.
Noelb
Regular

Poll or Vote plugin

Post by Noelb »

Hey All,

I'm looking for a better poll plugin, or a modication to the existing one, hoping someone has already conjured up.

The problem I'm trying to fix with existing is, if a voter closes the window or broswer and returns, they can vote again... I'm guessing this cookie control related, because if they leave the site and return in same open browser they can't revote, but if they close the browser and return they can.

So I guess a poll database would be needed to avoid this? ... and that's out of my abilities, since I'm here asking the question :)
onli
Regular

Re: Poll or Vote plugin

Post by onli »

Do you already give your visitors the option to register for the blog, so they have their own account?
Noelb
Regular

Post by Noelb »

Nope, I'm the only user, anyone else is a "commenter".
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

This would be the requirement. There is no way to completely prevent multiple poll submissions, but that would help a bit. As you saw, binding it to a cookie is easy to circumvent. If you link the poll submission to an account, then at least the visitors would need to create multiple accounts.

That's a bit theoretical though, as I don't know (and kinda doubt) that the poll plugin has a link to the user registration plugin. At least I don't see it in the code. So that would need to be added :/
Noelb
Regular

Post by Noelb »

Yes, the problem, and we learned from the past people wont sign up just to vote :(

If it was database based, on IP's, then any "double voting" would clearly be deliberate, and you will never stop that, if they want to vote multiple times intentionally, they will find a way, but recording IP and timestamp against a poll would at least stop the accidental multi voting that can occur now.

That's how phpBB did (still does?) it when we used that feature some years back, we could configure to allow unregistered users to vote in polls but not post to the forums, worked well, might have to resurrect it again if becomes much more of a problem.
Thanks anyway for confirming my suspicions.