Serendipity kicks 403 Forbidden error when posting with an image

Having trouble installing serendipity?
serendipity20191109

Serendipity kicks 403 Forbidden error when posting with an image

Post by serendipity20191109 »

Serendipity 2.3.2
PHP 7.1

Serendipity kicks 403 Forbidden error when attempting to make a post with an image / picture.

Text only posts work fine.

Past posts from prior months, years with images display fine but can't be edited.

Browsing media library works fine. Adding image in editor works fine. Preview or post results in 403 error.
serendipity20191109

Re: Serendipity kicks 403 Forbidden error when posting with an image

This is an unstoppable bug?? Impossible to fix?? Just delete Serendipity and abandon this crappy software??
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

serendipity20191109 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:19 pmThis is an unstoppable bug?? Impossible to fix?? Just delete Serendipity and abandon this crappy software??
It probably is not unfixable, but the information you provide is to small for a bug that no one else has reported (and thus, probably no one is able to reproduce). (Also, frankly, this was your first post with a very generic username. People may have thought you were a spammer. Sorry about that, but these days, that can be very hard to tell.)

Let's try to get more information.

* Is it possible to switch to PHP 7.2 or 7.3, and if so, does this change anything?
* Do you have access to the server and/or PHP error logs, and if so, do they throw any error messages right after reproducing the error?
* Does this happen with any image? (File size, dimensions, JPG or PNG?)

YL
serendipity20191109

My keychain has over 300 logins because every website and their dog wants one. I quit trying to use memorable account names about 290 logins ago.

Switching to PHP 7.2 or 7.3 gives no improvement.

I have searched the log files before posting here. I cannot find anything useful to identify what file or folder Serendipity is trying to access that is throwing the 403 error.

The image type does not appear to matter. Note that the error also occurs when attempting to edit posts with images that worked fine months ago.

What are the files and folders that Serendipity would need to access to make a post with an image? If I knew what files it was trying to open, I could check that it has access to them. I suspect this is happening because Serendipity is trying to go somewhere outside of its install folder.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

serendipity20191109 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:32 pmWhat are the files and folders that Serendipity would need to access to make a post with an image? If I knew what files it was trying to open, I could check that it has access to them.
Not really my area of expertise, sorry. I guess ultimately, saving and entry is always a post request to serendipity_admin.php. If an image is involved, that would be in a subdirectory of uploads/. I guess templates_c/ could be involved as well.

This is really something that onli or Garvin should chime in on.

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Hi. Serendipity does not throw 403 errors depending on whether an image is part of the entry text. If that happens in this specific installation the hoster has some "security" script running that reacts to the parameters given to the serendipity php code. That might be at webserver level, or it might have a separate logfile. Best to contact the hoster here, they should know which part of the server stack is responsible. I'm pretty certain it won't be s9y.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Nermax, what hoster do you use?