Length of text

Found a bug? Tell us!!
Fabien
Regular

Length of text

Post by Fabien »

Hi,

Not really a bug but this morning, I had a very bad surprise. Yesterday, I wrote a long entry, saved it and go to sleep very happy! This morning, I opened the entry to correct it and add some new ideas and… a part of my work of yesterday had disappeared.

I know that the problem is the MySql text field that has a size limited to 64KB. This is small, specially with UTF8.

Is it possible to have S9Y use MEDIUMTEXT for the body and extended fields of table "entries" in a next version? Or is it possible to have S9Y sending an alert when the text exceed the autorised size?
Is there a solution usable now, other than splitting my text in several entries?

Thanks. Have a nice day.
Fabien
Bonbon

Re: Length of text

Post by Bonbon »

Let me quote this: "A reliable, secure & extensible PHP blog... Serendipity stands for Reliability We want to provide a blog engine that users can trust"

And then: "This morning, I opened the entry to correct it and add some new ideas and… a part of my work of yesterday had disappeared." Probably you should trust this highly reliable blog engine a little bit less and store your drafts somewhere else (Word, for instance).
thh
Regular

Post by thh »

thh
Regular

Post by thh »

Fabien wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 am I know that the problem is the MySql text field that has a size limited to 64KB. This is small, specially with UTF8.

Is it possible to have S9Y use MEDIUMTEXT for the body and extended fields of table "entries" in a next version?
Since version 1.6 (released 2011-10-27), all new installation should already use LONGTEXT.

I'm not sure if there was an upgrade script included to change existing installations ... it's quite long ago.

Perhaps you could just change the column type of "body" and "extended" in the s9y_entries database to LONGTEXT yourself, in your installation? That would be the easiest solutin I can think of ...
Fabien
Regular

Post by Fabien »

Hi thh,

I am a happy user of Serendipity since 2003! And I am using V2.3 Beta 1 so I can confirm that the upgrade scripts do not change the size of the entries to LONGTEXT.

In the 2.3 official release?

Thanks for your answer.
Cheers, Fabien
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)
thh
Regular

Post by thh »

Fabien wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:19 amI am a happy user of Serendipity since 2003!
Good to hear! :D
Fabien wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:19 amAnd I am using V2.3 Beta 1 so I can confirm that the upgrade scripts do not change the size of the entries to LONGTEXT.
Yeah, that should have been done about 8 years ago when the change was made ...

I'm not so sure about adding an upgrade job now, as most installations will have been updated (or reinstalled) since then. Wouldn't it be possible for you to change your own database structure by hand?
Fabien
Regular

Post by Fabien »

Yes of course, I will do the change by hand.

Warm regards,
Fabien
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)
thh
Regular

Post by thh »

Fabien wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:59 pmYes of course, I will do the change by hand.
Thanks! :D