Timeline - a responsive, mobile first theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Huhu
Regular

Re: Timeline - a responsive, mobile first theme

Post by Huhu »

Thanks for the quick answer!
Don Chambers wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 pm Otherwise your image is assigned the class "serendipity_image_left". I can add a second class that will be constant regardless of image width.
The Seredipity class is global, so it wouldn't help to tackle "headline" images in the Detailed view *only*. So a class added only to the "headline" image and only in the detailed view would be fantastic. Of course I could add it in entry.tpl myself, but then it would be overwritten in case of template updates.
Thanks!
Post-apocalyptic Jugger sports: What is Jugger? Video I Free ebook on the sport
Huhu
Regular

Post by Huhu »

One suggestion that crossed my mind:
What about making custom category images also the intro images if no custom image is set for an entry, instead of the same image for all?
With multiple categories, the first category could be chosen as image.

Just an idea.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

What would you do in the event the entry is assigned to more than one category, and each of those categories has custom images?
=Don=
Huhu
Regular

Post by Huhu »

Well for one, using the category image could be made optional. So with multiples, you could just untick "use cat image" to get a standard image.

If using cat Images with multiple categories, a compromise would have to be met ... like:
Huhu wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 amWith multiple categories, the first category could be chosen as image.
... with "first" being maybe the alphabetically first. Not the neatest of all solutions, but if it would make category images available in general, it would still be nice.
Huhu
Regular

Post by Huhu »

Another one, hope I didn't bring that up already:
I am very satisfied with your great theme, it fits perfectly to the Art Rats' page.

Now I am considering to also use it for a (partly) static website. There, it would be essential to be able to assign certain header images to certain static or even entry pages.
The Clean Blog theme has integrated this brilliantly. Would it be possible to include such a functionality into timeline?
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I can provide images in the static pages. If you want to change the header image, perhaps you should consider using Clean Blog. If the timeline look is more important, you could always borrow the code from Clean Blog that provides this functionality and use it in your own customized version of Timeline.
=Don=
Huhu
Regular

Post by Huhu »

Okay, I will try to identify the code from Clean Blog and incorporate it into Timeline.

Do you have any hints how you structured the add-on (caveat for certain files etc)? No worries if you don't have it at hand, I'll look it through otherwise.

... which brings up another idea:
Would it be possible to use the code to create a general plug-in? It *seems* straightforward to do, does it? Sorry, I am not a coder, so I have no idea how plug-ins must be structured.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Huhu wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 am Do you have any hints how you structured the add-on (caveat for certain files etc)? No worries if you don't have it at hand, I'll look it through otherwise.
I'm not really sure what you are asking. However, I have a prototype running on the Timeline demo site now which allows images to be assigned to static pages the same way they are assigned to entries. You can see that here, though I have not yet committed it to Github.
Huhu wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 am Would it be possible to use the code to create a general plug-in? It *seems* straightforward to do, does it? Sorry, I am not a coder, so I have no idea how plug-ins must be structured.
I'm not a coder either, so cannot answer.
=Don=
Huhu
Regular

Post by Huhu »

Don Chambers wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 pmI'm not a coder either, so cannot answer.
You are doing a pretty damn good job for that if I may say so, my recommendations.
Thanks for the link!
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

thanks!
=Don=
sternchen
Regular

Post by sternchen »

Hi Don,
I do like both of your themes, Timeline and Clean Blog, thank you first of all.
I'm just about to move from the very old theme "mt clean" to either timeline or clean blog.
My blog is mostly about photography and I'm linking to a SFPG (singe file php gallery) anyway, maybe flickr and instagram following.
Timline is offering almost everything I do like, except the entry image, which I just can't make any use of at all and I wouldn't use the timeline format. Is there any chance to deactivate the entry images?
At the moment I'm more tending to use clean blog, although on the entry page there is no option to show photos at all, that's why I'm showing the full blog post. For more flexibility it would be great if it's possible to rotate the header image?
Thank you again!
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Hi! You are welcome to modify either theme to serve your purposes! Be sure to post a url of your changes so we can all see your modifications!
=Don=
sternchen
Regular

Post by sternchen »

Thanks Don, I try my best starting with rotating header images.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

The timeline theme has an option to display posts like a normal blog posts. A little work on entries.tpl and you could eliminate the entry images.

What do you mean by "rotating header images"?
=Don=
sternchen
Regular

Post by sternchen »

Don Chambers wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:00 am The timeline theme has an option to display posts like a normal blog posts. A little work on entries.tpl and you could eliminate the entry images.

What do you mean by "rotating header images"?
Hi Don, thanks again. At the moment I'm renewing my blog completely, playing around with your themes and let you hopefully know when I found a solution.

Rotating header images means to have for example a pool of pictures which randomly (or in order) appear as header image, so no static header image.