Comments fields

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Vgs
Regular

Comments fields

Post by Vgs »

Hi folks...
I'm a newby and I just installed the blog (v. 1.6) and I noted in the comments section, there are too many fields... that's a my opinion of course...
I was wondering whether there's a way to eliminate some fields, as
- Email
- Homepage
- In reply to

that are useless for my customers...
Do you know how remove those fields?... in which file are written?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Alina
yellowled
Regular

Re: Comments fields

Post by yellowled »

Vgs wrote:I just installed the blog (v. 1.6)
That is a very outdated version (it's actually over 5 years old), you should first update to the current version 2.0.5 to make sure you're using a secure version of s9y. (Which also offers quite a lot of new features.)
Vgs wrote:Do you know how remove those fields?... in which file are written?
In your theme's commentform.tpl file if it has such a file (check /templates/NAME_OF_YOUR_THEME/). If your theme does not have such a file, you can copy the one from /templates/2k11/ to your theme directory.

From that file, you'd need to remove the code that generates the form fields you want to remove. I'd need to know which theme you use and/or if you needed to copy the commentform.tpl to give you better instructions as to what to remove. Also, please list again which fields you want to remove.

Also note that if your theme already has a commentform.tpl, your changes might be overwritten with the next s9y update – in that case, you'd need to create a copy of the theme first.

YL
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Thanks YL... I don't know why we downloaded that old version... but now I'm scared trying to update... I've read about many issues that can happen... I wouldn't risk I should reinstall from scratch because something went wrong.

I wanna try now about the fields 'cause are really not necessary on our blog...
Thanks once again

Alina
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Done... found the mentioned file and removed the fields... perfect, thank you so much, really appreciated 8)

Alina
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Vgs wrote:I don't know why we downloaded that old version... but now I'm scared trying to update...
This is not optional. 1.6 is insecure. If you don't upgrade ASAP, you will be hacked and will have a lot more work than just re-installing serendipity, which is the worst case if the upgrade fails.
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

:shock: ... gosh... that's would be really a problem...
As found into the docs section:

(Using the Autoupdater
Install the Auptoupdater plugin (serendipity_event_autoupdate) and visit the dashboard. If an update is available, a button will appear. Click on the button to get an installer that will download and apply the update for you.)

I'm trying to find the autoupdater plugin, but I couldn't so far, except a link:
https://github.com/ophian/additional_pl ... autoupdate
but I don't know if is the right place to download it...

Where I could find it and is it safe to use?
Thanks

Alina
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Ok, found and installed Spartacus which seems to be, if I well undestand, the "mother" of all plugins and it let you install all the available plugins... is that correct?

Despite this, I'm not able to find inside the 156 plugins that Spartacus is offering me the autoinstaller... :roll:

I wouldn't try to update manually... help please...

Alina
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Vgs wrote:Ok, found and installed Spartacus which seems to be, if I well undestand, the "mother" of all plugins and it let you install all the available plugins... is that correct?
Yes. See the FAQ for an explanation what Spartacus is and how to install/use it.
Vgs wrote:Despite this, I'm not able to find inside the 156 plugins that Spartacus is offering me the autoinstaller... :roll:
1. Make sure you're trying to install an event plugin, not a sidebar plugin.
2. You're looking for Serendipity Autoupdate, aka serendipity_event_autoupdate
3. It's in the plugin section Backend: Features

I'm afraid I can't help to find it any better, haven't seen a 1.6 backend in a long time. :mrgreen:
Vgs wrote:I wouldn't try to update manually...
Usually updating manually is very easy. See the docs for that. Migrating vom 1.x to 2.x can be a bit bumpy, but I guess in the end it depends how much content you've already added and if you prefer to do it all over again with a fresh install. (I'd strongly suggest a backup of your current installation either way.)

YL
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Thanks...

Found the plugin autoupdater into the section you suggested... clicked on the link on the right... 3 seconds... then:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@venice-car-service.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

End of my fears... now I guess I have to reistall from scratch, right?
I'm no longer able to see the blog nor the admin side... :cry:

I guess everything is gone, correct?
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

I knew I should have leave the things as they were... :roll:

Alina
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Great!
Tried to reinstall from scratch to the same folder (/blog) the 2.0.5 and now what I get when try to install is:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@venice-car-service.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Don't know why... the first time, 3 days ago, I hadn't any issue... what should I do now? :|

Alina
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

When you re-installed, did you clean all other files first? If it had a specific problem with the autoupdater-plugin that would be important, please delete the directory plugins/serendipity_event_autoupdate.

Errors like that are almost always fixable, it does not mean you have to re-install or your data are lost. But we have to find out what exactly is going wrong, and fix that. Because a 500 error only means that something went wrong, not what. It could be for example that there is an incompatibility with the PHP version used, or that a PHP extension is missing.

Your hoster should give you a way to see the webserver error log. On the filesystem, it is normally under /var/log/apache2/error.log. You would then provoke the error, immediately afterwards look at the bottom of the file to see what the real error message is.
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Ok, removed everything, blog directory included and created a new subdomain (vgsblog.ecc.-ecc.com)
Installed succesfully the 2.0.5 but the question is: since I saved the dump database, can I restore it into the new one or what? :roll:
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Sure. Does your hoster offer you access to the database via phpMyAdmin, or how did you do the database dump?

A database dump is just a file with all the SQL statements. You just have to execute them all, and phpmyadmin has a menu point for that. Before that, you should change in that textfile the baseUrl variable of the configuration to the new url.
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Yep... I can access to Myphpadmin, I saved the database dump from there of course... I wouldn't risk again to reinstall once again everything...
Where the file you mentioned above is located?
Edit: forget the question... you meant the dump file, right?

Hereunder the first piece of the dump file:
-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 4.3.8
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: localhost
-- Generation Time: Mar 17, 2017 alle 01:54
-- Versione del server: 5.6.32-78.1-log
-- PHP Version: 5.4.31

SET SQL_MODE = "NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO";
SET time_zone = "+00:00";

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;

--
-- Database: `venicec3_ss_dbnameadd`
--
--
-- Database: `venicec3_ss_dbnameda7`
--
--
-- Database: `venicec3_vgs1`
--

-- --------------------------------------------------------

--
-- Struttura della tabella `serendipity_access`
--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `serendipity_access` (
`groupid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`artifact_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`artifact_type` varchar(64) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`artifact_mode` varchar(64) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`artifact_index` varchar(64) NOT NULL DEFAULT ''
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

--
-- Dump dei dati per la tabella `serendipity_access`
--

INSERT INTO `serendipity_access` (`groupid`, `artifact_id`, `artifact_type`, `artifact_mode`, `artifact_index`) VALUES
(0, 1, 'category', 'read', ''),
(0, 1, 'category', 'write', ''),
(0, 2, 'category', 'read', ''),
(0, 2, 'category', 'write', ''),
(0, 3, 'category', 'read', ''),
(0, 3, 'category', 'write', ''),
(0, 4, 'category', 'read', ''),
(0, 4, 'category', 'write', ''),
(0, 5, 'category', 'read', ''),
(0, 5, 'category', 'write', ''),
(0, 6, 'category', 'read', ''),
(0, 6, 'category', 'write', ''),