How to stop registration spam

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
adbask

How to stop registration spam

Post by adbask »

Hello there, I am currently using version 2.0.3
However I am getting spam registrations they are somehow bypassing the captcha which is ridiculous to say the least, I can't bypass it, but these bots seem to easily by pass it, okay they maybe require activation etc.. but the database gets filled with these garbage right ?
How can I stop this please ?
If anybody could explain how do these bots bypass (captcha) images and if you know of a good anti spam plugin that would prevent these childish kind of attacks please do let me know, it would be much appreciated.

I don't understand what do they gain by spamming others, for fun ? For money for what exactly ? Very childish and immature. This world is full of fools and destroyers and no builders.
Cordially.
Adbask
yellowled
Regular

Re: How to stop registration spam

Post by yellowled »

adbask wrote:However I am getting spam registrations
Do you actually mean “registrations” as in “register as a user in your blog”? (You would need an external plugin for that, serendipity_event_adduser.) Or do you mean spam comments?
adbask wrote:they are somehow bypassing the captcha which is ridiculous to say the least
Can you please state which captcha/settings you are currently using? There are various ways to try and prevent comment spam in s9y, if that's what we're dealing with here, but we need to know what you are using before we can analyze what could be improved or if it's just a bug.
adbask wrote:I don't understand what do they gain by spamming others, for fun ?
Might be, yeah. To see if they can do it. If it's automated (bot) spam, it might be to taint spam filters.

YL
adbask

Post by adbask »

yellowled wrote:
adbask wrote:However I am getting spam registrations
Do you actually mean “registrations” as in “register as a user in your blog”? (You would need an external plugin for that, serendipity_event_adduser.) Or do you mean spam comments?
adbask wrote:they are somehow bypassing the captcha which is ridiculous to say the least
Can you please state which captcha/settings you are currently using? There are various ways to try and prevent comment spam in s9y, if that's what we're dealing with here, but we need to know what you are using before we can analyze what could be improved or if it's just a bug.
adbask wrote:I don't understand what do they gain by spamming others, for fun ?
Might be, yeah. To see if they can do it. If it's automated (bot) spam, it might be to taint spam filters.

YL
Thanks for your reply, I meant the registration spam, I keep getting registered fake users several in an hour, I am not getting any comment spamming but registration spamming, yes they are not automatically activated I have to activate them, and they need to validate the email which they don't but it's still a form of spam. (Very annoying)
As for the captcha I am using scrambled captcha I mean the configuration is set as scrambled.
adbask

Post by adbask »

Yes I meant registration as a user
Thanks
Adam
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

adbask wrote:As for the captcha I am using scrambled captcha I mean the configuration is set as scrambled.
I'm not very familiar with the adduser plugin, but as far as I can see, it uses the spamblock mechanism provided by the spamblock plugin and/or moderation, which does not really help you. Meaning there does not seem to be a way to “add” more or better spamblock mechanisms, you can only use the captcha provided by (and configured in) the spamblock plugin.

Since I'm not a plugin developer, I'm at a loss as to what to do here. Since you're already using scrambled catchas, I assume the adduser plugin would need to be tweaked to add more spamblock mechanims. Maybe Garvin or onli can have a look at this?

YL
adbask

Post by adbask »

yellowled wrote:
adbask wrote:As for the captcha I am using scrambled captcha I mean the configuration is set as scrambled.
I'm not very familiar with the adduser plugin, but as far as I can see, it uses the spamblock mechanism provided by the spamblock plugin and/or moderation, which does not really help you. Meaning there does not seem to be a way to “add” more or better spamblock mechanisms, you can only use the captcha provided by (and configured in) the spamblock plugin.

Since I'm not a plugin developer, I'm at a loss as to what to do here. Since you're already using scrambled catchas, I assume the adduser plugin would need to be tweaked to add more spamblock mechanims. Maybe Garvin or onli can have a look at this?

YL
Thanks for your help, as you said, I don't know if there is a third party plugin that can do the job, but I will keep looking, thanks again for trying.
Best regards
Adam