Problems with rights and/or paths

Having trouble installing serendipity?
kybernator
Regular

Problems with rights and/or paths

Post by kybernator »

Please accept my apologies for sort-of-crossposting, I have posted part of this problem in the German forum, too, but since, the trouble gets worse.

All info below refers to the site http://www.ev-ref-gladbeck.de.

I have installed s9y in a subdirectory under my main domain-directory. After installing, which went smooth, I have made some minor customization and posted first content, then changed the domain to point to the subdirectory directly (knowing that I would have to change some paths in s9y).
Well, this of course didn't work. No problem, I thought, I just reverse the process, have the domain pointing to the higher directory again, change paths first and then switch back again.

First, this didn't work either (file permissions were changed, I do not know how, I certainly did not do it (directly) myself), but after changing the path in htaccess and changing all paths visible to me (except for the absolute path to the installation directory, which refers to the server file system), MOST things work.

But I very often get error messages:

when trying to read the attributes of a file in the media database:

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty: unable to write file /www/htdocs/w0148454/ev-ref-gladbeck.de/serendipity/templates_c/next/0c/d0/a9/wrt57dd641e34b1e7_10988179 <-- thrown in /www/htdocs/w0148454/ev-ref-gladbeck.de/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 46

when using the search in the frontend:

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty: unable to write file /www/htdocs/w0148454/ev-ref-gladbeck.de/serendipity/templates_c/next/1c/78/c8/wrt57dd6441c4c517_52593471 <-- thrown in /www/htdocs/w0148454/ev-ref-gladbeck.de/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 46

and so on :-(

If you have any idea what to do, even a reinstall that doesn't make me lose my data so far, please let me know.
Maybe I could install "over" the present install, would that fix the permissions? Any way to force that?
I do not have the guts to do a recursive chmod 777 (which would not help anyway if there ist a path problem, too)
onli
Regular

Re: Problems with rights and/or paths

Post by onli »

kybernator wrote:I do not have the guts to do a recursive chmod 777 (which would not help anyway if there ist a path problem, too)
Is the path correct? Then this is what you should do. Delete everything under templates_c/ and make sure the webserver has read and write access to templates_c.

There still might be a path problem, but if the path is correct in the cited error message you have to fix the permission problem first. Otherwise s9y can't work.
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

Delete everything under templates_c/ and make sure the webserver has read and write access to templates_c.
OK, that should be easy enough to do. Just out of curiosity: What am I deleting, then?

(in other words: aaaargh!, You want me to delete precious S9Y-files! We are all doomed now, doomed, I say!!!11!!! -- No, just kidding, but what are these files?)
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

templates_c/ holds a lot of temp files. Stuff like downloaded template preview images. But most importantly it holds the php code coming from compiled smarty templates. Nothing ever will be stored there from s9y that can not be safely deleted.
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

OK, due to other stuff, this took me two days longer to do than I thought, but deleting the files and setting the permissions a bit more liberal than intended seems to have done the trick - thanks a lot!