notification of new posts by e-mail & 'followers' button

Creating and modifying plugins.
Carl @ ATS
Regular

notification of new posts by e-mail & 'followers' button

Post by Carl @ ATS »

Dear developers,

I was looking through the event plugins last night and noticed one to do with e-mail notification called "serendipity_event_mailer", which I then installed. When I started to configure it, though, I noticed it requires a specific e-mail address or mailing list, which I don't have, so this plug-in is of little use to me. What I was actually looking for (and hoping to discover) was a way of enabling interested visitors to my blog to sign up to be notified about new posts by e-mail, which is a feature that blogs based on other systems possess. Has a plug-in that does this been designed for s9y yet, I wonder?

In connection with that, I'd also like to have a 'follow me' button on my blog that allows new visitors to be notified about new posts, which is also something other blog systems include. Perhaps I've overlooked these plug-ins in s9y, but I've been through the list a number of times and haven't spotted any. Could they be added soon, please?

Regards,

Carl
Timbalu
Regular

Re: notification of new posts by e-mail & 'followers' button

Post by Timbalu »

Carl @ ATS wrote:What I was actually looking for (and hoping to discover) was a way of enabling interested visitors to my blog to sign up to be notified about new posts by e-mail, which is a feature that blogs based on other systems possess.
There are two options for this:
  • By entry. Configuration: "Allow users to subscribe to entries", or
  • Make your Users notice to subscribe to the blogs rss feed(s!) (recommended) using the options in the syndication plugin
Using email for such general purpose is like spamming the Internet!
Carl @ ATS wrote:Could they be added soon, please?
In short by Garvin answered in a related question:
garvinhicking wrote:No. You can use the "send mail" plugin and set it up to post to a mailinglist. Then you can point your users to subscribe to that mailinglist. Google and Yahoo offer free hosted mailinglists.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Carl @ ATS
Regular

Re: notification of new posts by e-mail & 'followers' button

Post by Carl @ ATS »

Thanks, Ian.

Carl