Next Theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
yellowled
Regular

Re: Next Theme

Post by yellowled »

kybernator wrote:I can confirm the behaviour for Chromium and Firefox on Linux now.
Which one, the disappearing hamburger icon? And that is only the hamburger icon and only in Chromium and Firefox and only on Linux? I though it was on Chrome on Android? :?

YL
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

yellowled wrote:
kybernator wrote:I can confirm the behaviour for Chromium and Firefox on Linux now.
Which one, the disappearing hamburger icon?
No, the one we talked about last in this thread - the non-disappearing magnifying glass. The text-next-to-hamburger-icon one is solved already. ;-)

I only mentioned it to demonstrate that I was editing the correctly placed user.css, since this continued to work.
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

I will use serendipity_plugin_imagesidebar - could you recommend an optimal output width for a standard Next blog, please?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

kybernator wrote:I will use serendipity_plugin_imagesidebar - could you recommend an optimal output width for a standard Next blog, please?
I can't give you an optimal width since – at least technically – there is none.

Like any sensible responsive theme, Next uses flexible widths for layout. That means almost any width, at least any width related to layout, is given in percent, and that width changes in different resolutions. Also, the layout elements may have padding which may change on different resolutions etc.

However, the good thing is that Next also includes CSS code for responsive images, so that they will never get wider than their parent container. So what we can determine is a “close to ideal” width – we have to find out the potential maximum width of a sidebar widget (the container a sidebar plugin's output sits in) in any possible resolution.

I'll spare you the dirty details of calculating it – unless (this is important to notice!) you change the layout parameters of Next (i.e. by changing the max-width for body or by changing the width of the sidebar), the max width of a sidebar widget is 420px. So if you want your images to always extend to the full sidebar width, make them 420px wide. And please use the “save for web” feature most image editors have to optimize images. :)

YL
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

yellowled wrote:I'll spare you the dirty details of calculating it (...)
You're a gentleman :-)
(..) unless (this is important to notice!) you change the layout parameters of Next

Not going to, that's what I meant by "standard".

Thanks a lot, will do so.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

For the record: I just commited some changes to Next which I found logic and valid objections. Starting with 2.0.2, the byline will be emitted below the header on static pages, it will no longer have the pipe seperator and the headline will be a “link to self” for visual consistency. Thanks for your input. :)

YL
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

Thank you, YL.

So, there is only one visual difference left between how static pages and articles are displayed in Next, and that one is quite negligible.

Looking forward to use 2.02!
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

kybernator wrote:So, there is only one visual difference left between how static pages and articles are displayed in Next, and that one is quite negligible.
I'm drawing a blank here, which one would that be?

YL
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

Nearly nothing, really - the author's name is a link in articles and isn't one in static pages - and at the moment, I am not even aware (and cannot check from here) how static pages are even included in a search by author, so maybe it wouldn't even make sense to make it a link.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

kybernator wrote:Nearly nothing, really - the author's name is a link in articles and isn't one in static pages - and at the moment, I am not even aware (and cannot check from here) how static pages are even included in a search by author, so maybe it wouldn't even make sense to make it a link.
Well, at some point this is a question of whether there is a variable to get the desired value from and if said value is “suitable”.

For static pages, there is $staticpage_author, and we can assume that there will be a blog user of the same name/account, but that could be an admin only user. It does not have to be an author.

More importantly, I don't think the “corresponding” variable ($entry.link_author) is even in the scope of the plugin_staticpage.tpl files, meaning said variable is empty in that page context. (Again, this is a limitation that people using s9y as a CMS will experience at some point.)

YL
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

Getting acquainted with the Next theme, today I had the opprtunity to test it under an elderly Firefox (actually, Iceweasel 20.0 under Linux).

I just want to report that the theme is displayed incorrectly, the main text area seems to be rendered slightly too wide, so that the sidebar doesn't fit besides it and starts below the text area. 2k11 displays fine in the same browser.

Just reporting this, I am not expecting this to be a bug in Next, rather in the (older) firefox, since I did not have anything like this in a current browser.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

kybernator wrote:Getting acquainted with the Next theme, today I had the opprtunity to test it under an elderly Firefox (actually, Iceweasel 20.0 under Linux).
Interesting, but frankly, I don't care. :)

Firefox (or Iceweasel) 20 is a version of an evergreen browser that is about two years old. Worldwide usage of this version of FF over the past year was 0.07% according to StatCounter.

As far as I am familiar with current Linux distributions (which is not that much), most of them update browsers frequently now. So I would assume that this is a Firefox (or a distribution) that has deliberately not been updated.

Basically, with evergreen browsers, what counts in terms of support is the current version. That is mostly because it is quite a hassle to even keep older versions of said browsers around for testing, but they also disappear from viewer stats very, very quickly.

YL
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

Yepp. I just posted it for your "interesting", not because I thought you should care (neither do I).
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

Tables:

I just posted a test entry:

http://efg-test.xf1.de/index.php?/archi ... n-Mai.html

I much like the way the table is styled. Also, when minimising browser width, the table only shrinks so far that the content stays intact, which is good, of course - better to have to scroll horizontally then not to get the info at all.

Would it be possible to have a minimal distance between table cells, so that the info remains readable? I am talking about the way how, in my example, day and time practically fuse.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

kybernator wrote:Would it be possible to have a minimal distance between table cells, so that the info remains readable? I am talking about the way how, in my example, day and time practically fuse.
Tables are very hard in a responsive context. That is mostly because their content is unpredictable, so it is next to impossible to find a generic solution that “works everywhere”. The number of columns and rows is variable, as is the length and content of the table cells. It is BTW pure coincidence that it does actually fit in your test case.

There is no “minimal margin” in CSS. You could add a padding to the table cells, but that breaks the layout on small screens (meaning the page scrolls horizontally because the table is wider than the content).

There is a great JS solution for this called tablesaw. I'm reluctant to include it in Next because at least 75% of all bloggers never use tables, so it would be an overhead. There is also a CSS-only solution, but it's pretty complicated, not really usable as a generic solution and does not work in old IEs. You could use that as an individual solution in your user.css, though.

Another solution would be to not use a table (but, for instance, a list). That might also be interesting if you plan to use a WYSIWYG editor and have authors that don't know HTML. In my experience (which is, of course, subjective), WYSIWYG and tables don't work well, especially not with authors that don't know HTML.

YL