Clean Blog - a fully responsive, mobile 1st s9y theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Don Chambers
Regular

Clean Blog - a fully responsive, mobile 1st s9y theme

Post by Don Chambers »

You can read about it on my blog.

A full explanation of configuring and using Clean Blog can be found on the Clean Blog demo.

This theme will become a core serendipity theme in an upcoming release, but it would be great to get some feedback and/or bug reports before that happens.

Thanks & enjoy!
=Don=
MarioH
Regular

Re: Clean Blog - a fully responsive, mobile 1st s9y theme

Post by MarioH »

Hi Don,

thank you for your work. I tried to install the theme in my Testblog an get the following error:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty Compiler: Syntax error in template "/var/www/s9y20/templates/clean-blog/index.tpl" on line 11 "{if ($view == "entry" || $view == "start" || $view == "feed" || $view = "plugin" || $staticpage_pagetitle != "" || $robots_index == 'index')}" - Unexpected " = " <-- thrown in /var/www/s9y20/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatecompilerbase.php on line 11
I'm using Serendipity 2.1-alpha1 on PHP 5.4.39.

Regards
Mario
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Pretty sure the culprit is

{if ($view == "entry" || $view == "start" || $view == "feed" || $view = "plugin" || $staticpage_pagetitle != "" || $robots_index == 'index')}
the single = in front of "plugin", I'm just not sure whether it should be == or !=.

YL
MarioH
Regular

Post by MarioH »

That was simple. :)

I replaced the "=" with "==" and it works.

Thanks.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Good catch I just updated the zipfile.
=Don=
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

Hi Don. Thank you very much for this theme. I use it for my blog since last weekend and so far everything looks fine.

Found a typo in the german version of the theme configuration:
"Seiten-Optionen" (Page Options: Show entry body on single entry page view only) --> "Eintags-Inhalt nur in der Einzelansicht eines Eintrags anzeigen" should be "Eintrags-Inhalt", IMHO.

Just one point so far:
When I switch "Page Options - Show entry body on single entry page view only" to "No", than I see in the blog home page the last 10 blogposts (or what else is configured), but no information about comments or a link / icon to the comment form.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

u1amo01 wrote:Hi Don. Thank you very much for this theme. I use it for my blog since last weekend and so far everything looks fine.
Your site looks great! It is nice to see the theme on something other than my demo site!
u1amo01 wrote:Found a typo in the german version of the theme configuration:
"Seiten-Optionen" (Page Options: Show entry body on single entry page view only) --> "Eintags-Inhalt nur in der Einzelansicht eines Eintrags anzeigen" should be "Eintrags-Inhalt", IMHO.
Nice catch. I will modify the german language files.
u1amo01 wrote: When I switch "Page Options - Show entry body on single entry page view only" to "No", than I see in the blog home page the last 10 blogposts (or what else is configured), but no information about comments or a link / icon to the comment form.
This theme does not show a link to comments or trackbacks.

When looking at your search form, I noticed it does not display as intended. Did you modify the stylesheet or are you using a user stylesheet (user_style.css)? The cause of your form not displaying correctly comes from this css:

#searchform, #sidebar_left, #sidebar_right {
    width: 33%;
}
Perhaps code you used with a different theme?
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

"Seiten-Optionen" (Page Options: Show entry body on single entry page view only) --> "Eintags-Inhalt
Don, if we want to make it even correcter, rename it to "Seitenoptionen" and "Eintragsinhalt". The - is not needed there.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

onli wrote:
"Seiten-Optionen" (Page Options: Show entry body on single entry page view only) --> "Eintags-Inhalt
Don, if we want to make it even correcter, rename it to "Seitenoptionen" and "Eintragsinhalt". The - is not needed there.
Thanks. I'm going to defer to my translator - the one and only yellowled!!! Your opinion Matthias?
=Don=
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

Don Chambers wrote: Of course "Seitenoptionen" and "Eintragsinhalt" would be better. Sorry, I've missed that.
[...]
This theme does not show a link to comments or trackbacks.
Yes. But when "Page Options - Show entry body on single entry page view only" is "No" it's IMHO difficult for a reader to find the comment form. He has to click on the entry title to see the comment form. Hmm.
When looking at your search form, I noticed it does not display as intended. Did you modify the stylesheet or are you using a user stylesheet (user_style.css)? The cause of your form not displaying correctly comes from this css:

}
Strange. Looks really like code from the former theme. I have no idea how it is included here. I didn't use a user.css with clean-blog

I have to check this later. Maybe I'll delete the clean-blog theme and install it again.
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

One thing I don't understand:

Today I wrote an article with a subtitle and an own header image (that's realised with the plugin serendipity_event_entryproperties). I saved it and ... the subtitle and header image disappear.

Maybe a problem with the database? I used the plugin serendipity_event_entryproperties a long time ago.

Strange.

I think I'll set up a fresh test blog with a new database and test clean-blog there.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

u1amo01 wrote:
Don Chambers wrote:This theme does not show a link to comments or trackbacks.
Yes. But when "Page Options - Show entry body on single entry page view only" is "No" it's IMHO difficult for a reader to find the comment form. He has to click on the entry title to see the comment form. Hmm.
I don't see any value in providing a link directly to the comment form on an overview page for this theme. Why would anyone jump directly to the comment form without first reading the entry?
u1amo01 wrote:
Don Chambers wrote: When looking at your search form, I noticed it does not display as intended. Did you modify the stylesheet or are you using a user stylesheet (user_style.css)? The cause of your form not displaying correctly comes from this css:

}
Strange. Looks really like code from the former theme. I have no idea how it is included here. I didn't use a user.css with clean-blog.

I have to check this later. Maybe I'll delete the clean-blog theme and install it again.
I figured this out - in 2.0.1, a new feature was introduced that will automatically include a theme's user stylesheet named user.css if it exists in the theme's folder. Unfortunately, it will automatically load this file from the 2k11 theme folder if the active theme does not have this file. I have brought this to the attention of other developers for discussion in a different thread. The temporary solution would be to rename /templates/2k11/user.css to something else IF you are not using 2k11.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:The temporary solution would be to rename /templates/2k11/user.css to something else IF you are not using 2k11.
Untested: couldn't you just have an empty user.css in the child theme's directory?

As for the translations, there really is no need to check everything with me. I don't have time to check it out at the moment anyway, and somebody actually using the theme will probably know better than me anyway.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

u1amo01 wrote: Today I wrote an article with a subtitle and an own header image (that's realised with the plugin serendipity_event_entryproperties). I saved it and ... the subtitle and header image disappear.
This theme has another dependency, as noted here:
This theme requires Serendipity 2.0, but is also dependent on the event plugin nl2br. The event plugin nl2br is not required with Serendipity 2.0.2 and newer.
I see you are using s9y 2.0.1. Do you have the nl2br plugin installed?
=Don=
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

I have put an empty user.css (just with comments) into the clean-blog directory and search looks fine.

Also installed the nl2br plugin, problem solved. Sorry for that. :oops:
Don Chambers wrote: I don't see any value in providing a link directly to the comment form on an overview page for this theme. Why would anyone jump directly to the comment form without first reading the entry?
Maybe a question of my english language abilities. When clean-blog is configured the way I have it now (shows full entries instead of 70 signs --> see http://u1amo01.de/blog ), then I think it's difficult for a reader to find out, how he can write a comment. Hope it's understandable now :-)

Best wishes,
Klaus