Upgrade 1.5.2 to latest version

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Upgrade 1.5.2 to latest version

Post by Don Chambers »

Sorry. You are correct, fontello.woff. I wonder if it is a permissions issue. It certainly seems as if the fonts are not being found.
=Don=
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

Haha, well, any suggestions for what else I can try?

Does the theme that I am using matter? Though, I believe I am on the default theme since I don't remember changing anything...
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

hdiaz36 wrote:Haha, well, any suggestions for what else I can try?
Try reloading the backend a few times and see if that changes anything in terms of the font icons being displayed. If not, try clearing your template cache in the new maintenance section of the backend.

YL
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

I should add that after Don's previous post I changed the permissions to those files to 777.

I just tried clearing the cache and reloading a few times; still nothing :(
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

yellowled wrote:Try reloading the backend a few times and see if that changes anything in terms of the font icons being displayed. If not, try clearing your template cache in the new maintenance section of the backend.
If that does not do anything, I assume it's one of the following (since the icon font files are present in your webspace):

* the icon font files are not readable by the webserver (that is what Don meant by “permissions”); I kind of doubt that, though, because I can't imagine how one would screw up the permissions for just these (if they were wrong for more template files, more parts of your backend would not work)
* the files are corrupted because of the way you uploaded them; this is a bit complicated to explain, so bear with me; I assume you uploaded the s9y files via FTP? FTP has two transfer modes – ascii and binary; some files need to be transferred as ascii (most files, actually), but others (and I think fonts should fall in that category) need to be transferred as binary files; usually, your FTP client should be configured properly to do that automagically, but it might be that it was not – however, I can not really tell you where/how to check/change that, you would need to figure that out in your FTP client's settings (and then upload the files again properly)

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Something else you could check (if possible): does this happen in Firefox? If so, does it happen in other browsers (try Chrome) as well?

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Oh, here's another idea – since you're in China … what language is your blog set to? (See Settings → Configuration → General settings)

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Sorry, the interesting part is not so much the language, but Charset selection. That's right below the language setting in the configuration

YL
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

I have observed this in both chrome and firefox. I'll try reuploading the files now. So do I need to do that using Binary or ASCII? Slightly confused about that one.
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

Charset selection is set to UTf-8
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

hdiaz36 wrote:I'll try reuploading the files now. So do I need to do that using Binary or ASCII? Slightly confused about that one.
Yeah, I was kind of typing in a hurry. :D

You would need to only reupload the 4 files that have names starting with “fontello” to templates/2k11/admin/font/ in binary mode.

The weird thing is that if these icon font files were actually corrupted, the buttons should not show Kanji, but empty boxes …

YL
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

Ok, well I tried uploading the files in binary mode using Filezilla. Returned to both chrome and firefox, refreshed a few times and cleared the template cache just for good measure, but still nothing. :(

Oh, and the boxes look different in firefox - I've attached a screenshot to this post to show what they look like in firefox.
Attachments
firefox-icons.jpg
firefox-icons.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 12476 times
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Interesting. Time to check as to why these aren't working. LOL.

Please try the following: open the console in Firefox (Ctrl + Alt + k, unless you're on a Mac; then it's ⌘ + ⌥ + k). Then (re)load a page that has icons in it. Does it give you error messages in the console? If so, please copy and paste them here.

Also, how are the permissions for these fontello.* files now? Still 777? (644 should be enough.) Can you check the ownership of these files via FTP? (I don't know where this is in Filezilla, but it should be in the context menu of the files in Filezilla; something like owner/group or user/group?)

YL
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

Files are still set to 777, let me see how to check the ownership...

Here are the error messages:

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://daxueyingyu.com/hugo/templates/2 ... f?70036835. This can be fixed by moving the resource to the same domain or enabling CORS. fontello.woff
downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "fontello" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:1): bad URI or cross-site access not allowed
source: http://daxueyingyu.com/hugo/templates/2 ... f?70036835 index.php:460
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://daxueyingyu.com/hugo/templates/2 ... f?70036835. This can be fixed by moving the resource to the same domain or enabling CORS. fontello.ttf
downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "fontello" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:2): bad URI or cross-site access not allowed
source: http://daxueyingyu.com/hugo/templates/2 ... f?70036835
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

I'm not sure if it is the information you were after, but in Filezilla I see something that says Owner/Group and below that I see 796/798 for the files in question.