Delete unused themes?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
nogad
Regular

Delete unused themes?

Post by nogad »

Huhu.

Its possible to delete standard themes, i dont use?
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Delete unused themes?

Post by Timbalu »

Some Yes, some No.
But why do you want to do that?
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Timbalu wrote:But why do you want to do that?
Probably to keep the list of themes tidy or save server space, I'd guess. Maybe even to save upload time when updating the core via FTP.

Here's the thing: if you're talking about themes bundled with the core, they're going to be in the next update anyway, so you'd have to remove them again or remove them from the unzipped core before you upload it.

We did sort of account for that by providing the “lite” download files. Those only include three themes (as of 1.x) – bulletproof, carl_contest and default. For the time being, I think both bulletproof and default have to be in any s9y installation (not sure about carl_contest).

However, it's probably not the best idea to update a non-lite installation with a lite archive (because it's missing other things than themes), so you'd still have to use the “normal” zipfile and delete those other themes to update your installation in the future. (Although some of this may change with 2.x because the number of themes bundled and the ones require might change in 2.x.)

TL;DR If you only want to delete unused themes for tidyness, it's probably not worth the effort.

YL
nogad
Regular

Post by nogad »

Thanks.

A lite zip sounds nice. And no, in my case its not to spare webspace, its just a "head thing" and a overhead of overview by open up the themes in the backend. :)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

nogad wrote:A lite zip sounds nice.
Let me stress again that I don't think it's a good idea to use a lite zip to update a non-lite installation. The lite zip is lacking some installation files which would never be updated if used to update a non-lite installation, which might potentially lead to security issues.

YL
nogad
Regular

Post by nogad »

Yup, i noted this. Im still in test - and developing - and modding - mode ;)

Thank you anyway.