display comments?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
bgergler

display comments?

Post by bgergler »

Hi, I'm putting a website together for my Dad, and he wanted the comments to show without having to click the link (so they are always displayed under the post, or atleast the most recent few), then have the comment form pop up when the link is clicked.
Is this easily accomplished?
Thanks,
Ben
yellowled
Regular

Re: display comments?

Post by yellowled »

bgergler wrote:he wanted the comments to show without having to click the link (so they are always displayed under the post, or atleast the most recent few), then have the comment form pop up when the link is clicked.
I'm not sure what you're actually trying to do here.

Usually, a s9y blog does have two different “views” for comments. On “overview pages” (e.g. the home page of a blog), there's a link to the comments (usually including the number of comments) below an entry, which leads to the “single entry view”. There, all the comments available are listed.

Of course, all this depends on which theme you use and potentially on which plugins you have installed.

If I understand you correctly, you want to always display at least a few comments below an entry, even on overview pages? And which link exactly should open the comment form?

YL
bgergler

Post by bgergler »

Yes exactly, I'd like atleast a few comments to be visible, and the form to open when the link is clicked, if possible
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Okay, your original question was if this is “easily accomplished”. No, it's not. Because there is no ready-to-use theme (that I know of) which has these two features.

In your second post, you said “if possible”. Yes, it's possible. I'm not entirely sure it's good idea, it might even affect the blog's performance, but it's possibe. You'd need to do some modifications in any theme's entries.tpl file, which means it's probably a wise idea to create you own theme (by modifiying an existing one which fits your wishes). We use Smarty as a template engine for s9y, but if you're not familiar with that, you can always ask for help in the forums.

YL