2K11 customization

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
FireAdmin
Regular

2K11 customization

Post by FireAdmin »

I at all...

im working hard to the 2k11 Theme (copied and renamed) and i need to customize my blog as well, hope you may help. I dont use user.css but the original theme.css, better. First of all i would like to move the serach bar down below. Then i have to:

- customize buttons.
- customize any plug-ins appereance.
- background and menubar.
- giving a three-columns look.

Sorry for my questions but im new in Serendipity :idea:
I like it.
Thank you very much in advance
Cheers
yellowled
Regular

Re: 2K11 customization

Post by yellowled »

First of all, it would be good if you could provide an URL to your blog if it is accessible from the outside so we can take a look at your progress.
FireAdmin wrote:First of all i would like to move the serach bar down below. Then i have to:

- customize buttons.
- customize any plug-ins appereance.
- background and menubar.
- giving a three-columns look.
1. Search form: Where do you want to move it to? Also (always) remember that 2k11 is a responsive theme which works differently in different screen resolutions, so you might want to specify in which resolution you'd like to move it.

2. If I remember correctly, 2k11 does not style buttons and button-like input elements at all, so you can just write your own styles for those (assuming you want all form buttons to look alike)

Code: Select all

button,
input[type="submit"],
input[type="reset"]{
    /* Your styles here */
}
3. Any sidebar plugin has its own class which you can use to address them seperately, i.e. .serendipity_archives_plugin. Also, they have a common class .sidebar_plugin. (Assuming by plugins you mean sidebar plugins.) Other than that, you'd need to specify what exactly you want to customize.

4. Which background – the white content background, the grey site background, both …? As for the menu bar, that can be kind of tricky. You can always use the user.css generator for that (it makes it pretty easy) and paste the styles generated by that into your theme's CSS file. At least it will give you an idea as to which CSS selectors to use to address the menu bar.

5. 2k11 supports 3-column layouts by default, just put sidebar plugins in both sidebars (left and right) in the backend. Should work out of the box.

YL
FireAdmin
Regular

Post by FireAdmin »

Sorry Yelloled, you're right.
mMy mistake.
here's the url: http://fireofdarkness.altervista.org

When you see "Follow Us on Facebook" , "Archives" ... i need to customize with a specific background and style just giving more personalization according with the main Theme.

And even i need to move the search bar in the same plugins place (sidebar).

Thank you for your reply and help.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

I'm afraid if you need more specific instructions as to how to customize things, you're going to have to ask more specifically. Unless you do so, I'll assume you're good to go. :)

YL
FireAdmin
Regular

Post by FireAdmin »

oh no im a developer, but you know i use another way to write code.
So, i need to customize sidebar and search bar too :)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

We seem to kind of misunderstand each other.

I can't read minds. I also can't and won't write comprehensive HTML/CSS tutorials here. So if you still need help with customization, I need specific, detailed “instructions” what you want to do differently and where in the blog. Otherwise I'll just assume you're fine.

(If you do in fact need basic HTML/CSS tutorials, I recommend https://developer.mozilla.org)

YL
FireAdmin
Regular

Post by FireAdmin »

I'm a computer developer thanks. So, in this example i show you what i mean:
as you can see i would like to customize the blog just drawing any header background for each plugin for instance, so can you just tell me what are the codelines in the 2k11 css?

Because i see it's been written in a bit disorder way, i mean its a great template but the way they written without TABS, Comments lines, spaces... (pls dont tell it to the author :oops: :shock: ) Thank you very much and sorry for my question :)
Thanx YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

FireAdmin wrote:So, in this example i show you what i mean:
as you can see i would like to customize the blog just drawing any header background for each plugin for instance, so can you just tell me what are the codelines in the 2k11 css?
You'll want to add something like

Code: Select all

.sidebar_plugin > h3 {
    background: #f85403;
    color: #fff;
    padding: .25em .5em;
}
to your fork's style.css.
FireAdmin wrote:Because i see it's been written in a bit disorder way, i mean its a great template but the way they written without TABS, Comments lines, spaces..
That's because the author assumed that people who are not familiar with HTML, CSS and Smarty would just use the 2k11 user.css generator to adapt it to their liking. Anyone familiar with CSS should be fine without it.

Also, the stylesheet doesn't make heavy use of comments because those kind of bloat the CSS file which affects the performance of the template, especially on mobile phones on mobile connections.

As for tabs or spaces, well, that's been used here (mostly) according to the s9y coding style. If you prefer it differently, most editors provide some kind of plugin to reformat CSS according to your preference. (There's also online tools for that.)
(pls dont tell it to the author :oops: :shock: )
I don't think I can avoid that, given the fact that I am the author. :)

YL
FireAdmin
Regular

Post by FireAdmin »

:) :) :) ... pls forgive me man :) I shame on me .
Yes i understand its better to make the code slim and lite .

Ok im gonna customize... thanks again for precious help man.
Cheers
:D