Comments Home Page URL Question

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Jade
Regular

Comments Home Page URL Question

Post by Jade »

On my install of serendipity when people add comments they can add a homepage url. It is possible to disable that or administration options for display options. If it is that way for a certain reason or standard could you please explain.

I notice on your blog the comments seem to display a different layout for homepage url
yellowled
Regular

Re: Comments Home Page URL Question

Post by yellowled »

Jade wrote:On my install of serendipity when people add comments they can add a homepage url. It is possible to disable that or administration options for display options.
Yes, it is possible. It requires modifying the template files of the theme you're using. Assuming you have FTP access to your s9y installation, I'm going to need to know which theme you currently use to give you proper instructions.

YL
Jade
Regular

Post by Jade »

I thought that might be the case. I am using the 2k11 style and already have access to modify the files. I am just trying to keep the modifications to a minimum in case of a patch. Thank you for the assistance
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Jade wrote:I thought that might be the case. I am using the 2k11 style and already have access to modify the files. I am just trying to keep the modifications to a minimum in case of a patch. Thank you for the assistance
In /templates/2k11/commentform.tpl, delete

Code: Select all

<div class="form_field">
    <label for="serendipity_commentform_url">{$CONST.HOMEPAGE}{if $required_fields.url}*{/if}</label>
    <input id="serendipity_commentform_url" name="serendipity[url]" type="url" value="{$commentform_url}" placeholder="{$CONST.TWOK11_PLACE_URL}"{if $required_fields.url} required{/if}>
</div>
in a text editor, save and upload the edited file.

Here's the catch: If you're using the 2k11 version shipped with s9y (which is strongly recommended), you'll have to do this every time s9y is updated (because your edited file will be overwritten by the one shipped with s9y). Unfortunately, the only way to avoid this would be to copy 2k11 to a seperate directory, but in that case you'd miss out on future updates to 2k11 (or have to copy those to your template copy as well).

YL
Jade
Regular

Post by Jade »

Awesome thanks for the info and quick reply. Like getting the updates so I will just manually make changes as updates come out.
Jade
Regular

Post by Jade »

Ok need one more snipped of help if I want to link to a particular article I have the path example: http://blog.llamavision.com/index.php?/ ... money.html but when I click the link it goes to the index page not the specific article. Is this a setup option somewhere. I read the manual but didn't quite find the answer I am looking for.
Jade
Regular

Post by Jade »

Worked out its not your link but what Facebook does to it.

Serendipity link = http://blog.llamavision.com/index.php?% ... money.html

Facebook converts to
http://blog.llamavision.com/index.php?% ... money.html

the /'s after the ? are converted to %2 is never converted back so clicking the link just drops you at main page

Any social sharing plugins? Otherwise I will find or make a work around.
Jade
Regular

Post by Jade »

Made it work ... changed the /'s in the permalinks to _

Hopefully wont be an issue to anything else. The / serendipity puts on front after the ? doesn't seem to matter.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

You'll definitely want to see to it that you can use URL rewriting on your web server to get search engine friendly and human-readable URLs. See Administration → Configuration → Appearance & Options in the backend.
Jade wrote:Any social sharing plugins?
See http://spartacus.s9y.org/ (or better: install the Spartacus plugin for easy plugin installation and updating). There's serendipity_event_findmore, which adds links to a variety of social networks to your entries. If you mean sharing new entries automagically on FB, we usually recommend to use a FB app like RSS Graffiti for that.

Oh, and by the way: nice customization job on 2k11 there. :)

YL
Jade
Regular

Post by Jade »

URL rewriting is doing the trick thanks :) and Spartacus rocks ... so much to play with!