Plugin idea: Entry types

Creating and modifying plugins.
yellowled
Regular

Plugin idea: Entry types

Post by yellowled »

Here's another not-so-crazy idea for a plugin – it might be nice to have Tumblr-like entry types, i.e. entries which offer a different editor (non-WYSIWYG) in the backend and wraps its content into suitable markup to drop into {$entry.body}. (I'm just suggesting this as a plugin since I guess not everyone will need or use it, so if anyone thinks this should be a core functionality for whatever reasons …)

Obviously, this would be most useful for Tumblr-like microblogs, but it could also add new possibilities for other use cases (think: portfolio sites, magazine sites) combined with suitable templates. This could open up a whole new group of users for us (although that other blog engine already supports post types as far as I know).

Obviously, Tumblr's post types would be the first ones to add here, i.e.

* Text: should be the entry type for the standard entry, using the WYSIWYG (or otherwise configured) editor
* Link: entries in which (usually) the entry heading is a link to an external site, optionally with some additional text; should probably use the WYSIWYG editor plus have a form field for the external link
* Image: just a headline plus an image from the media db (or optionally external URLs?)
* Images: same, but a gallery of more than one images as thumbnails
* Quote: a quote, optionally with a source; should just be two input fields emitted as blockquote (not sure about a heading here; maybe headings should be optional for some entry types?)
* Audio: an audio file from the media db/external URL; could be marked up using the HTML5 audio element or with optional flash fallback?
* Video: same as audio; HTML5 video element + optional fallback?

I'm not sure we need Tumblr's Chat post type, that seems silly and hard to implement in the backend. I could probably think of other useful entry types as well, but right now, I have a cold and can't think straight.

Also, the entry type should be accessible for templating, i.e. to emit entries by type, to markup entry types differently etc.

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Plugin idea: Entry types

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I generally like the idea. I somehow remember this has come up in the past, I think even that serendipity_event_entrytemplates (or was it includeentry, or entryblocks? Something like that) has a basic foundation for creating specific editors for simplified insertion.

It wasn't primetime quality though.

A plugin like this could be a good idea for the developer sprint; even though maybe onli wanted it to more focus on core development...hm.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Based on the assumption that this might be a very specific use case, which will most likely require a specific template to make it really shine, this could also be solved on a template basis. But then users would have to use specific categories (or tags?) to denote the post types or the extended entries plugin would have to be used (which I always try to avoid). Also, users would have to adhere to a very specific way of writing posts to avoid having content which shouldn't be in certain types of posts. It would be terribly prone to error.

YL
robert
Regular

Post by robert »

It´s nice to see this fresh ideas :) Sounds like some from my mind ;)

Please keep it in mind!
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

I would still really like to see this implemented for 2.0. Happy to help with markup questions. I'd also build a specific template for this which demonstrates it's capabilities. Anyone?

YL
robert
Regular

Post by robert »

If I can help you in any way... :)
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

garvinhicking wrote:I somehow remember this has come up in the past, I think even that serendipity_event_entrytemplates (or was it includeentry, or entryblocks? Something like that) has a basic foundation for creating specific editors for simplified insertion.

It wasn't primetime quality though.
Maybe you were looking for serendipity_event_categorytemplates? I haven't installed it, but it seems like it enables custom templates for specific categories.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

mattsches wrote:Maybe you were looking for serendipity_event_categorytemplates? I haven't installed it, but it seems like it enables custom templates for specific categories.
I wouldn't want to use that. (I also don't have the best experience with that plugin.)

Basically, all we'd need (as far as I can see) is a way to emit an entry editor specific to post type in the backend and a CSS class specific to the post type in a Smarty variable for use in the template. (Yes, that would mean that post types would only work well with template which support them, but I don't see another way than that.)

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

I meant serendipity_event_includeentry, I think...
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Anybody up for implementing this? I'd still like to see it in s9y since I think it would add a lot of possibilities. :)

YL
robert
Regular

Post by robert »

yellowled wrote:Anybody up for implementing this? I'd still like to see it in s9y since I think it would add a lot of possibilities. :)

YL
LIKE :D
Sarah8332

Post by Sarah8332 »

Hey guys,

Any update on this? Would love to see it too :)
cannabis seeds for salevaporizers for saleaberdeenseals.co.ukmarijuana seeds