2k11 removing title and description from header

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
karlv

2k11 removing title and description from header

Post by karlv »

Hi,

I changed over to the 2k11 template but I can't find how to delete the Title&Description text in my header :!:

In the default skin I had to remove homeline1 and homeline 2 from the default skin.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks,

-Karl
yellowled
Regular

Re: 2k11 removing title and description from header

Post by yellowled »

karlv wrote:I changed over to the 2k11 template but I can't find how to delete the Title&Description text in my header :!:
You don't want to remove them anyway for SEO and accessibility reasons.

You can, however, very easily hide them using CSS. Just create a file templates/2k11/user.css (if you haven't already), activate the user.css in 2k11's theme options and add to said file:

Code: Select all

#identity h1,
#identity p { text-indent: -999em; }
Don't forget to save. Done.

YL
karlv

Post by karlv »

Thank-you very much for the quick response!
I didn't think about the SEO thanks for reminding me.
Although I would be able to promote my website via social networking.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

@YL, is a text-indent in this case better than display:none or visibility:hidden for SEO reasons?
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Timbalu wrote:@YL, is a text-indent in this case better than display:none or visibility:hidden for SEO reasons?
Yes. This is one of the things where SEO and accessibility are pretty similar since search engine spiders work much like screenreaders do.

display: none; visibility: hidden; hides the element from (at least some) screenreaders and (most likely) search engine spiders, text-indent only hides it visually. Edit: Also, you mustn't use display: none; or visibility: hidden; – always use both to make sure the element is hidden in any browser and screenreader (if you actually want to hide an element).

Of course, using the .visuallyhidden class would be even better (in terms of CSS performance), but that can't be done in a way that's safe in case of an upgrade. Adding the .visuallyhidden styles for the #identity h1, #identity p selector would be an option, but that seemed over the top. text-indent does the same.

YL